I find the canned enchilada sauces to take on the flavor of the tin can. Ick. This easy-to-make sauce tastes so much better.
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large skillet to medium heat. Whisk in flour and chili powder. Reduce heat to medium and continue to whisk until lightly browned. Gradually whisk in tomato sauce, chicken broth, cumin, garlic powder, onion salt and salt. Stir until smooth, and continue simmering over medium heat about 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Serve immediately, or keep in a covered bowl in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.