Yield: 4 cups
Prep Time: 40 min
Sometimes served as a side dish, baba ghanoush is an Arab dish of eggplant mashed and mixed with various seasonings. Grilling the eggplant for this dip softens the pulp and gives it a smoky flavor.
3 pounds eggplant (about 3 medium)
1/2 cup tahini
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
olive oil (for drizzling)
parsley and kalamata olives for garnish, optional
1. Warm up grill to high heat. Pierce eggplants several times with a sharp knife. Place on the grill and cover. Cook, turning occasionally until blacked all over and eggplant skin is very soft (20 minutes or so). Remove from grill and cool.
2. Halve eggplants lengthwise. Scrape the flesh into a colander and let drain. Discard the skins.
3. Blend tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cayenne, salt and pepper in food processor until smooth. Add eggplant and continue to process until mixture is smooth.
4. Scoop into serving dish. Drizzle with good olive oil and garnish with parsley or Kalamata olives.
5. Serve with fresh vegetables and pita bread.
*Make sure the tahini has been well stirred.