Mushroom-lovers can celebrate… this recipe combines three varieties to pair with brie. All is wrapped in puff pastry and baked until the brie is melted and the puff pastry becomes golden and flaky.
Brie in Puff Pastry Stuffed with Wild Mushrooms & Sweet Onion
Servings: 12 Prep Time: 25 minutes + baking time
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 medium sweet onion, sliced thinly
8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, remove stems & slice thin
1 ounce porcini mushrooms, soaked, drained & minced
8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced thin, stems ok
1/4 cup sherry
salt & pepper to taste
1 wheel of brie (5 to 6-inches in diameter)
1 package puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
1. Heat skillet to medium-low. Add butter, olive oil, garlic and onions. Saute until onions are softened. Add mushrooms and sherry. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until liquid is incorporated. Let cool. Spoon out any extra liquid (if there is any) and discard.
2. Slice brie right down the middle (horizontally) to make 2 rounds. Spread mushroom mixture on one of the rounds. Place the other round on top of the mushrooms.
3. Lightly roll out puff pastry. Place stuffed brie on 1 sheet of the pastry. Fold pastry around brie. Place partially wrapped brie onto second puff pastry sheet, unwrapped side down on the new sheet of pastry. Cover completely. Mark sides of wrapped brie with vertical fork lines. Bake right away, or chill or freeze until ready to serve.
4. When ready to cook, bring brie to room temperature. Place in a baking/serving dish and bake in preheated 450 oven for 10 minutes on a lightly greased baking sheet. Turn down to 400 until golden brown. Watch closely... if overcooked, the brie will leak.
5. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Serve with baguette slices.