My Mother has been making this yummy appetizer for the past 40 years. She bakes them up during her annual Christmas party and there is never a bite left. Don’t be afraid of the phyllo dough! This one is worth the effort.
Yield: 40 appetizers
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
1 (10 ounce) package chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed dry
1 Tablespoon butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 large egg, beaten
3 cups cottage cheese, small curd, drained of excess moisture
3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon pepper
16 oz frozen phyllo dough, defrosted
1 cup butter, melted
1. In a skillet, melt butter and saute onion until tender, not brown.
2. In bowl, combine egg, cottage cheese, feta, pepper, spinach & onion.
3. Carefully cut phyllo sheets in half lengthwise. COVER WITH A DAMP TOWEL that has been squeezed dry- you have to be very careful about not drying out the phyllo. Working with 1/2 sheets, fold in half lengthwise. Brush lightly with melted butter. Place 1 Tablespoon spinach mixture in a corner. Fold up in triangle to the end. Trim edges with scissors. Brush outsides lightly with remaining butter. Place on a baking sheet & cover with a damp towel.
4. Freeze until ready to bake. It's best to freeze these on a baking sheet. Once they're frozen, you can move them to a large zip bag or a freezer-safe container.
5. Bake (frozen) at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm.
*This is a wonderful recipe to make ahead. Prepare a whole bunch of them to keep in the freezer and bake them up when you have guests over.