Feta, spinach and bacon tucked into a mushroom? These are divine. Just divine.
Yield: 48 mushrooms
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour +
Roasted Mushrooms Stuffed with Feta, Spinach and Bacon
- 8 ounces of bacon slices
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (10 ounce) package chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp dried crushed red pepper
- 2 2/3 pounds button mushrooms (about 48; each about 1 1/2-inches in diameter), cleaned and stemmed
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook bacon in heavy large skillet until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Coarsely crumb bacon. Discard all but 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons bacon fat (adding olive oil if necessary to equal that amount).
- Heat 2 teaspoons reserved bacon fat in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl and cool; mix in bacon, spinach, feta, cream cheese, and crushed red pepper. Season filling to taste with salt and pepper.
- Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with foil. Toss mushrooms and reserved 1/4 cup bacon fat in large bowl to coat. Sprinkle mushrooms with salt and pepper. Place mushrooms, rounded-side-down, in a single layer on prepared baking sheets. Bake mushrooms until centers fill with liquid, about 25 minutes. Turn mushrooms over. Bake mushrooms until brown and liquid evaporates, about 20 minutes longer. Turn mushrooms over again. Spoon 1 heaping teaspoon of filling into each mushroom cavity. (Filled mushrooms can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- When ready to bake, make sure oven is preheated, and bake mushrooms until heated through, about 10 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to platter and serve warm.
- This is a beautiful recipe to serve when you're entertaining. It's a bit time consuming to get everything prepped, but you can make them ahead and have them ready to pop in the oven right before your guests arrive.
- If preparing this as a gluten free appetizer, be sure to use GF bacon.
SOURCE: RecipeGirl (via Bon Appetit)