Breakfast Bread Pudding
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 60 min
8 slices thick french bread
1 quart milk
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons salted butter, cut into small pieces
heavy cream, whipped (for serving, if desired)
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. F. Prepare 2-quart baking dish by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Break the bread into chunks and place in a large bowl.
3. In separate bowl, mix together the milk, eggs, sugar, salt, raisins, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour this mixture over the bread chunks and gently turn and cover with the wet mixture. Pour the entire mixture into the baking dish and let stand for 10 minutes (or it can be refrigerated overnight to be baked the next morning). Sprinkle the butter pieces on top.
4. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 minutes more. If you like a crustier brown top, slip the dish under a hot broiler until golden brown.
5. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.