Yield: 8 servings (serving size: About 1 cup)
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
Basic Beef Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 pound small cremini mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds lean beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 (14-ounce) cans less-sodium beef broth
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 2 cups 3/4-inch cubed peeled white skinned potato (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups 1-inch slices carrots (12 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and sauté for 5 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown. Spoon mushrooms into large bowl. Lightly coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; sauté 10 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add onion mixture to mushroom mixture.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl or pie plate. Dredge beef in flour, shaking off excess. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add half of beef mixture; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Add browned beef to mushroom mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining beef mixture and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Add 1 cup wine to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add thyme, broth, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Stir in beef mixture. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is just tender.
- Stir in the potato and carrot. Simmer, uncovered, 1 hour and 15 minutes or until beef and vegetables are very tender and sauce is thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 1 cup) Calories: 308, Fat: 14.5g, Saturated Fat: 5.2g, Sugar: 4g, Fiber: 3g, Protein: 21.5g, Cholesterol: 44.23mg, Carbohydrates: 24.5g
- Weight Watchers POINTS: SmartPoints: 7, PointsPlus: 8, Old Points Program: 7