Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 40 min
A delicious twist on weeknight chicken!
2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 Tablespoons finely chopped celery
1 3/4 cups peeled, chopped Granny Smith apple (about 3/4 pound)
1 3/4 teaspoons curry powder, divided
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 (10 1/2 ounce) can low-salt chicken broth, divided
4 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
3/4 cup apple juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon water
1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add apple and 1 teaspoon curry powder; sauté 3 minutes, or until apple is tender. Stir in raisins, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, and 1/3 cup broth; cook 4 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Spoon apple mixture into a small bowl; set aside.
2. Cut a horizontal slit through the thickest portion of each chicken breast half to form a pocket. Stuff about 1/4 cup apple mixture into each pocket.
3. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
4. Add 3/4 teaspoon curry powder, remaining chicken broth, apple juice, and minced garlic clove to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup.
5. Combine cornstarch and water; stir well. Add to broth mixture in skillet; stir with a whisk. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Return chicken to skillet; cover and simmer 2 minutes or until heated. Serve sauce with chicken.
*If preparing this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, just be sure to use a brand of chicken broth that is designated as GF.
*The apple-curry mixture is delicious. It's not a bad idea to double that part of the recipe and serve some on the side too!
Nutritional Information per serving:
Serving size: 1 breast half + 1/4 cup sauce
Calories per serving: 238
Fat per serving: 4g
Saturated Fat per serving: .61g
Sugar per serving: 11.5g
Fiber per serving: 2g
Protein per serving: 28g
Cholesterol per serving: 65.77mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 23g
WW POINTS per serving:
Points Plus Program: 6 Old Points Program: 5
Source: RecipeGirl.com (via Cooking Light)