A favorite pasta recipe: Spaghetti with Caramelized Onions, Mushrooms and Pancetta
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 47 minutes
Spaghetti with Caramelized Onions, Mushrooms and Pancetta
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped pancetta or bacon (about 1 ounce)
- 6 cups sliced sweet onions (about 3 large onions)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 cups sliced mushrooms (about 1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth
- fresh oregano, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add pancetta; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cover and cook 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Uncover and cook 10 additional minutes, stirring frequently. Remove onion mixture from skillet; set aside.
- Add mushrooms, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper to skillet; cook over medium- high heat 4 minutes. Add minced oregano and 2 Tablespoons parsley; cook 1 minute. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add onion mixture and broth; cook until thoroughly heated. Add mushroom mixture to pasta; toss to coat.
- Divide among 4 shallow bowls; sprinkle evenly with 2 Tablespoons parsley. Garnish with fresh oregano sprigs, if desired.
*Pancetta is Italian bacon that is cured with salt and spices but not smoked. Regular bacon or ham can be substituted for it.
Nutrition Facts - Amount Per Serving (1 1/2 cups) Calories 344, Calories From Fat (19%) 65, Total Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 1.5g, Cholesterol 3.81mg, Sodium 399.81mg, Carbohydrates 58.5g, Dietary Fiber 4.72g, Sugar 7.83g, Net Carbohydrates 53.75g, Protein 12.80g Weight Watchers: Points Plus 8.5 Old Program 9