SCALLOPS BAKED W/ MUSHROOMS
¼ cup butter
2 Tbs flour
¼ tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/8 tsp pepper
1 lb scallops
6 Tbs butter, divided
½ lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 stalks celery, diced
½ small onion, finely chopped
½ medium green pepper, minced
1/8 tsp basil
½ cup crushed Ritz cracker crumbs
4 Tbs grated Cheddar cheese
1. Wipe scallops with a damp cloth and set aside.
2. Melt 3 T. butter in a heavy saucepan. Add mushrooms, celery, onion, pepper and basil. Simmer gently for 10 minutes, until celery and mushrooms are tender, but not soft.
3. Prepare sauce: Melt butter; gradually add flour, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper and slowly pour in milk. Stir sauce continually until it is very smooth and thick.
4. Add scallops to mushroom mixture; mix well. Heat 5 minutes and then add the white sauce.
5. Pour mixture into 1 1/2-quart buttered casserole. Cover with cracker crumbs, then grated cheese; dot with remaining 2 T. of butter.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 minutes or until golden. Garnish with parsley.
Recipe Source: Market, To Market… A Collection of Kentucky Recipes
PRINT THIS RECIPE using your browser’s ‘print’ function. It’s automatically formatted to print recipe & picture only.
RATE THIS RECIPE[ratings]