This soup is gluten-free adaptable- please see tips below the recipe…
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 45 min
Cook Time: 1 hour
Caramelized Onion Soup w/ Cider Syrup
2 pounds (about 5 medium) yellow onions
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 cups beef broth
4 cups fresh apple cider
1 bunch fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon granulated white sugar
6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Peel onions and cut them in half through the root end. Place flat end on cutting board. Cut into very thin slices, less than 1/8-inch thick.
2. Heat butter and oil in a large heavy pot with a cover until butter is melted. Add onions and cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until they soften and get very dark brown (some will blacken), about 20 minutes. Add broth and 2 cups cider and bring to a rapid boil.
3. Lower heat, add 5 long thyme sprigs, sugar, and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cook, covered, for 30 minutes over medium heat, stirring often.
4. Meanwhile, put remaining 2 cups cider in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Continue to cook over high heat until cider is reduced to 1/3 cup, about 20 minutes.
5. Remove thyme sprigs from soup and transfer soup to bowl of a food processor. Process until very smooth; this should take several minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and transfer soup to 6 warm soup bowls. Drizzle each with cider syrup and garnish with fresh thyme leaves and a sprinkling of cheese.
*Be sure to use fresh, unpasteurized apple cider from the refrigerated case in the supermarket.
*If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use a brand of beef broth that is know to be free of gluten.
Source: RecipeGirl.com (via Real Food)