The perfect recipe to use up leftover corned beef: Day After St. Patrick’s Day Soup
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Day After St. Patrick's Day Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped sweet Vidalia onions
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups grated Idaho potatoes
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 8 to 10 ounces corned beef, cut into 2x3-inch strips (about a cup)
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup half and half cream
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, heat 1 Tablespoon oil. Add onions and saute until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add cabbage and potatoes; stir. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, heat remaining oil in small skillet and saute corned beef until crisp; drain on paper towels.
- Add carrots and half & half to the soup; simmer for 10 more minutes. Stir in corned beef strips and adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.