Super easy recipe for French Onion Soup
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
French Onion Soup
- 12 French bread slices
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 3 pounds onions, halved
- 7 cups beef broth
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 9 ounces finely shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place bread in single layer on baking sheet and bake 5 to 8 minutes on each side or until dry. Keep bread on cookie sheet for later use.
- Melt butter in large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Cut heels off onion halves and slice crosswise. Add onion slices to butter. Cook over low heat, stirring often, 45 to 60 minutes. Add broth and 1 1/4 cups water to onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Top bread slices evenly with cheese. Bake for 4 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly brown.
- Add sherry and pepper to soup. Bring to a boil.
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls and top each bowl with 2 bread slices.
- Serve immediately.
*If you have ovenproof crocks for your individual soup bowls, you can place the bread and cheese on top of the crocks and then place under the broiler until browned. This gives the cheese a chance to melt down the sides of the crock and give it the "restaurant" look!