This soup is gluten-free adaptable- please see tips below the recipe…
Hearty Broccoli- Potato Soup
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 40 min
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 medium sized red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes but not peeled
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Two 14.25-ounce cans fat-free, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
One 12-ounce can evaporated skim milk
1 1/4 pounds broccoli, trimmed, divided into small florets, stems peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (you should end up with about 4 cups)
1 tablespoon minced fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1. Heat olive oil in very large heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until ripples appear on pan bottom, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add potatoes, flour, salt, and pepper, stirring well to mix. Slowly add chicken broth and evaporated milk, stirring all the while. Bring quickly to a boil, again stirring.
3. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Add broccoli, parsley, and basil and simmer uncovered, stirring now and then, until broccoli is crisp-tender, about 10 minutes.
5. Ladle into soup bowls and serve.
*If you are preparing this recipe as gluten free, just be sure to use a brand of broth that is known to be GF, and use a thickener replacement for the all-purpose flour- such as potato starch.Nutritional Information per serving:
Serving size: 1/6th of the recipe
Calories per serving: 176
Fat per serving: 3g
Saturated Fat per serving: .5g
Sugar per serving: 8.6g
Fiber per serving: 2g
Protein per serving: 9g
Cholesterol per serving: 2.5mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 30g
WW POINTS per serving:
Points Plus Program: 5 Old Points Program: 4
Source: RecipeGirl.com (via GMA's Cut the Calories Cookbook)