A delicious and hearty soup recipe: Mexican Meatball and Salsa Soup
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 46 minutes
Mexican Meatball and Salsa Soup
- Two 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into 20 (1/4-inch wide) strips
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice, divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup water
- Two 10.5-ounce cans low-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine tortilla strips and oil; toss well to coat. Arrange in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan; bake for 10 minutes, or until crisp and brown, stirring once. Set aside.
- Combine 1/4 cup rice, ground beef and next 5 ingredients in a bowl; shape mixture into 24 (1-inch) meatballs. Place on a broiler pan; bake at 400° for 10 minutes.
- Place a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add salsa, water and broth; bring to a boil. Add 1/4 cup rice and meatballs; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender and meatballs are done. Stir in corn; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
- Spoon into bowls; sprinkle with cheese and tortilla strips.
SOURCE: RecipeGirl.com (recipe given to me)