WINTER BEEF SOUP
2 quarts water
1 medium onion, quartered
1 ½ lbs beef chuck steak, diced
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbs parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
½ cup chopped celery
¾ cup chopped carrot
1 lb can chopped tomatoes
1 can tomato soup
½ head cabbage, sliced
1 bunch swiss chard, chopped
¼ tsp oregano
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
¾ cup frozen peas (optional)
1. Bring to boil, water, onion, beef, salt and pepper. Simmer for 2 hours. Remove beef. Strain stock, measure and add additional water to make 2½ cups. Return water and beef to the pot.
2. Add parsley, garlic, onion, celery, carrots, tomatoes, and tomato soup. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
3. Add cabbage, chard and oregano. Cover and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
4. In the last 5 minutes, you can add beans and peas, if desired.
5. Ladle into soup bowls and top with freshly shredded Parmesan.
PRINT THIS RECIPE using your browser’s ‘print’ function. It’s automatically formatted to print recipe & picture only.
RATE THIS RECIPE[ratings]