GLAZED SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
3½ lbs sweet potatoes
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
¼ cup honey
1 Tbs cornstarch
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp grated orange rind
2 Tbs butter
½ cup pineapple juice
¼ cup chopped walnuts
1. Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water to cover 20 to 25 minutes or until fork-tender (use huge stockpot; you need the height, especially if you double this for a crowd– and it’s as easy to quadruple it as to make it as written, so it’s great for a huge group.)
2. As potatoes are boiling (or you can wait till they’re cooling off), combine brown sugar and next 7 ingredients (all but walnuts) in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
3. Remove sweet potatoes from hot water with turkey lifters (or Orka gloves). Let cool to touch (this may take 30 minutes before you can handle them comfortably; allow time); peel with carving knife, and cut into ½-inch slices. Arrange slices, slightly overlapping in rows, in a lightly greased 12x8x2-inch baking dish (or 9×13). Set aside.
4. Pour sauce mixture over the sweet potatoes; sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Cover with foil, and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
5. Remove dish from refrigerator; let stand 30 minutes at room temperature. Preheat oven to 350°F. Uncover and bake 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Once it’s hot, the recipe holds extremely well in a warm oven, so it’s easy to use for company or holidays.
Recipe Source : “TestKitchen45″ CLBB via Southern Living
PRINT THIS RECIPE using your browser’s ‘print’ function. It’s automatically formatted to print recipe & picture only.
RATE THIS RECIPE[ratings]