Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Prep Time: 45 min
Cook Time: 1 hour 20 min
Potato Casserole with Caramelized Onions
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, divided
1/4 cup olive oil
6 large sweet onions (such as Vidalia or Maui)
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
4 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup sour cream
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Melt 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, onions and sugar. Cook, stirring often, 25 to 30 minutes or until onions are deep golden brown. Remove from heat, and set aside.
2. Bring potatoes and chicken broth to a boil in a Dutch oven; cook 20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Reserve broth for another use, if desired.
3. Add remaining 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter to potatoes; mash with potato masher until smooth. Whisk together whipping cream and remaining ingredients; add to potato mixture, stirring until blended.
4. Spoon 1/2 of the potato mixture into a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish. Spoon caramelized onions evenly over potatoes. Spoon remaining potatoes evenly over onions.
5. Bake in preheated 350°F. oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden.
*Casserole may be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
*If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use a brand of chicken broth that is GF.
Source: RecipeGirl.com via Southern Living