I won a special prize for this salad that I shared at a big 4th of July barbecue. Contrary to the name of the recipe, there are no corn dogs in this salad- just corn and sausages (dogs) and some great grilled vegetables.
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 35 min
Cook Time: 20 min
This unique salad was the absolute favorite dish at our 4th of July barbecue.
6 cobs corn, husked
1 small butternut squash, peeled and seeded & cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1 large white onion, quartered
3 large red, yellow or orange sweet peppers, seeded & cut into 2-inch chunks
3 Tablespoons olive oil
6 smoked sausages
1 cup chopped cheddar cheese cubes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 Tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, sage or cilantro)
3 whole green onions, chopped
BEER MUSTARD DRESSING:
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons whole grain mustard
1 Tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
1/4 cup beer
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup honey
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat grill to medium-high (400° to 450°F).
2. Prepare Dressing: In a bowl, combine vinegar, grainy mustard, yellow mustard, beer, olive oil and honey. Whisk together to combine; season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Season corn, squash, onions and peppers with olive oil and salt & pepper to taste. Grill veggies for 10- 15 minutes, turning frequently until lightly charred, tender and fully cooked. Remove from grill and set aside to slightly cool.
4. Grill sausages for 8 to 10 minutes, turning frequently until lightly charred and heated through. Remove from grill and set aside to slightly cool. Slice grilled sausages into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
5. Using a sharp knife, remove corn kernels from cobs (tip- cut each cob in half through the middle & stand each half on its cut end to cut kernels off from top to bottom). Place kernels in large bowl. Add grilled squash, peppers, onions and sausages to corn. Add cheese, herbs and green onions. Drizzle with Beer-Mustard Dressing and season with salt & pepper to taste.
6. Mix well and serve immediately.
Source: RecipeGirl.com (via chillonline)