Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache
The cupcakes themselves are great, but dipped in the ganache... oh my!
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 ounces butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 ounces chocolate (bittersweet or semi-sweet or combo)
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter, , at room temperature
- Prepare cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pans with liners (or not)- your choice.
- Whisk together boiling water and cocoa; cover and set aside.
- With a mixer, cream together butter, sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Add eggs, one at a time, and continue creaming until light and fluffy.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, & baking powder and add this mixture, alternately with the buttermilk. Add cocoa/water mixture and mix until thoroughly combined. Scoop into cupcake pans and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool completely before adding ganache.
- When cupcakes are cooled, prepare ganache: Place chocolate in stainless steel or glass bowl and set aside. Bring cream & sugar just to a boil in a small saucepan (or microwave) then pour over chocolate. Whisk together until smooth, and then stir in butter until melted.
- Dip tops of cupcakes into ganache. Set on rack to dry. When the remaining ganache sits for a while (or refrigerate for a few minutes), it will get thicker. At this point, you can spoon it into a piping bag and then pipe more ganache on top for decoration.