Chocolate- Espresso Torte
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 1 hr
1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter
1 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
1 cup + 2 tablespoons hot espresso coffee (can use instant if you have it)
16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, cut into small pieces (or use chips)
6 large eggs, at room temperature
6 large egg yolks, at room temperature
ice cream or whipped cream, optional
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Generously butter an 8 or 9-inch springform pan, and line the bottom with parchment paper or waxed paper. Butter and flour the paper; set aside.
2. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and mix with sugar and espresso until the sugar dissolves. Add chocolate and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly. You don't want it to be hot when you add the eggs.
3. Whisk eggs and yolks in a large bowl until frothy. Quickly whisk into chocolate mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan and place pan on a baking sheet.
4. Bake until edges puff and crack slightly but center is not completely set, about 1 hour; Don't overbake (the cake will continue to set as it cools). Transfer to a rack and cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight for best results.
5. When ready to serve, run a small knife around the cake pan to loosen. Carefully release pan sides. Sift powdered sugar over the cake. Cut into small wedges, wiping knife clean before each cut. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
*If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use a brand of chocolate that is known to be GF.
*This cake freezes well. Wrap tightly.