Bacon- Wrapped Apple & Sausage Bundles
Yield: About 24 appetizers
Prep Time: 30 min + marinating time
Cook Time: 10 min
This recipe reminds me of fall when we go apple picking and bring home bags full of apples. We're always desperate to find recipes to use them up.The combination of apples and marinated sausages with crispy bacon holding them together is quite a delicious bite.
1/2 cup apple juice or cider
2 Tablespoons creamy peanut butter
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
4 whole sausages- each about 6 inches long (the pre-cooked kind)
2 medium apples (McIntosh, Golden Delicious)- no need to peel
1/2 pound bacon
1. Prepare marinade: Blend together the apple juice, peanut butter, soy sauce, cinnamon, and ginger until smooth. Pour into a medium-sized bowl.
2. For sausage bundles: Cut the sausages into 3/4 to 1-inch pieces; add to the marinade, cover, and refrigerate. Marinate for about 4 hours.
3. Core the apples and cut them into pieces that will fit nicely alongside the sausage. (The slices should not be too thin, however)
4. Drain the sausage pieces, reserving the marinade.
5. Cut the bacon strips in half crosswise. Make bundles by wrapping a strip of bacon around a slice of apple and a piece of sausage, secure with wooden toothpicks. Drop each bundle into the bowl to coat with the marinade.
6. Place the bacon bundles on a broiler rack and broil 4 inches from the heat. Broil them approximately 3 to 5 minutes per side, watching them carefully and turning them until the bacon is uniformly cooked and crispy.
*If you're watching your calories, try out using lower fat turkey sausages and turkey bacon. I haven't tried it that way yet, but it seems like it's worth a shot.
Source: RecipeGirl.com (adapted from Apple Cookbook)