Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Prep Time: 45 min
Cook Time: 60 min
Delicious... and beautiful to present.
2 Tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic,minced
8 to 10 whole mushrooms, sliced
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil (or 1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped)
4 large eggs, beaten
2 medium carrots, shredded (1 cup)
1 1/2 cups half & half
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
10 whole asparagus spears, washed & trimmed, divided
1 medium tomato, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
chopped fresh parsley
1 (10-inch) pie shell
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Melt butter in nonstick skillet. Add onions, garlic, and mushrooms to pan and cook 8-10 minutes or until soft. Add flour, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, salt and basil to pan and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs with half and half, 1 cup of cheese and carrots. Add mushroom/onion mixture to egg/cheese/carrot mixture and stir to combine.
4. Slice 5 asparagus spears into 1-inch to 2-inch pieces. Lay asparagus pieces on bottom of pie shell. Pour filling over asparagus in pie shell.
5. Place pie pan on cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
6. While quiche is baking, slice remaining asparagus spears into 1-inch to 2-inch slices or leave 5-inches long for a decorative design. Arrange tomato slices and asparagus pieces on top of quiche in a wagon-wheel pattern or other attractive pattern.
7. Return to oven and bake for an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until quiche is firm to the touch and knife comes out clean.
8. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese and parsley. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool before slicing.