This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl blog: Ooey Gooey Brownie Heaven.
Yield: About 24 brownies
Prep Time: 35 min
Cook Time: 50 min
Otherwise known as "the brownie that has been spotted on my Twitter home page," these are as ooey and gooey as they look.
14 ounces caramels, unwrapped
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup + 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
2 cups granulated white sugar
4 large eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9x13-inch pan generously with cooking spray.
2. Prepare caramel: In a medium saucepan over low heat, place caramels and sweetened condensed milk. Stir often until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and let sit while you prepare the brownies.
3. Prepare brownies: Melt butter in a pyrex cup in the microwave. Set aside and let cool.
4. In a large bowl, beat together sugar and eggs. Add cocoa powder and milk. Slowly mix in melted butter.
5. In a separate bowl, sift flour, salt and baking powder. Whisk dry ingredients into the chocolate mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.
6. Pour two thirds of the batter into prepared pan. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
7. Carefully remove the brownies from the oven and pour cooled caramel over the top. The caramel will appear heavy compared to the brownie batter, and it will appear to sink to the bottom of the pan in some places- this is normal. Drop spoonfuls of the remaining batter over the caramel. Use a knife to gently swirl it into the caramel.
8. Return the pan to the oven and bake for 25 to 30 more minutes. Brownies should feel springy to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in center shouldn't draw out raw batter. Remove from oven and let cool on rack for about an hour. Cover with foil and place the pan in the refrigerator overnight- these must be chilled very well before you cut into them.
9. When you're ready to serve these, you'll need a sharp knife, a metal spatula and some cooking spray. Use the sharp knife to cut around edge of pan. Wipe the knife with a paper towel. Cut through brownies to make rows, wiping knife clean with a paper towel after eat cut. Spray a metal spatula with cooking spray and use it to scoop out the brownies. The brownies will be ooey gooey, so be sure to wipe the spatula with a paper towel after you remove each brownie.
10. The best way to serve these ooey gooey brownies is to place them on individual cupcake papers and just set the papers on a tray. Stick a plastic fork into the top of each one and they'll be ready to eat.
*Note: If you love fudgy brownies, and if you're an avid eater of caramel, you'll enjoy this brownie. They're gooey and delicious, but they must be eaten with a fork- they're not a good one for eating out of hand. They'd be extra good with vanilla ice cream!