Chicken- Butternut Squash Chili
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 35 min
This chili has all the flavors of a traditional chili, but with the added bonus of butternut squash.
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped sweet onion
2 cups chopped red bell pepper
2 cups chopped green bell pepper
3 Tablespoons minced jalapeño (seeds removed)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup beer
1 cup low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
1/4 cup sliced black olives
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with juice
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
2 cups cooked butternut squash, peeled & cubed
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
1 (15.75 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed & drained
sliced scallions, cheddar cheese & sour cream, for topping (optional)
1. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté onions until lightly browned- about 8 minutes.
2. Add bell peppers, jalapeño and garlic. Sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
3. Add beer, broth, olives, chili powder, coriander, salt, tomatoes and chicken. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, cover partially and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Stir in squash, cilantro, cocoa and beans. Simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Serve in individual bowls, topped with cheese, sour cream and scallions.
*Try using cooked pumpkin in place of the butternut squash.
*Try using double quantities of jalapeno, garlic, coriander and cilantro.Nutritional Information per serving:
Serving size: 1/6th of the chili
Calories per serving: 321
Fat per serving: 8.25g
Saturated Fat per serving: 1.5g
Sugar per serving: 8.75g
Fiber per serving: 9.5g
Protein per serving: 26g
Cholesterol per serving: 44mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 39.5g
WW POINTS per serving:
Points Plus Program: Old Points Program: