Cappuccino Brownies

Ooo… La La!

Cappuccino Brownies… a decadent, gooey and chocolatey brownie, a cinnamon- tainted cream cheese layer that is rich and creamy, and topped with a fudgy, glossy glaze. Originally from Gourmet, this one’s a keeper for sure. Stay tuned for how to make this evil treat…

You’ll need instant espresso powder. It’s not always easy to find. If you’ve got a market that tends to carry a good variety of things, you might find it in the coffee aisle. If you have a tough time locating it, it’s ok to use instant coffee and just make it extra strong.

When making bars or brownies, it’s so much easier to handle them and cut them if you line your pan with parchment paper. If you just spray the pan (and it’s ok if you do), it can be difficult to get a nice cut on the brownies because you have to dig them out.

Heat chocolate, butter and espresso until smooth and melted.

After the melted chocolate has had a chance to cool down a bit, whisk in the sugar and vanilla, and then the eggs.

Stir in flour and salt, and then pour into the prepared pan. Bake it up, and then let it cool.

Whip up the cream cheese mixture and spread it onto the cooled brownie layer. Simply melt the glaze layer in a microwave- safe container.

Drizzle glaze on the cream cheese layer and gently spread evenly with a spoon.

CHILL the brownies for about 3 hours until everything is nice and cold and firm. Here’s where that parchment comes in handy… pull out the brownies and peel off the parchment. Take a large knife and cut those chilled brownies into squares of desired-size. Small squares are recommended as these are rich little bites of decadence.

Enjoy!!!
This recipe can be found here:  Cappuccino Brownies

18 Responses to “Cappuccino Brownies”

slowlikehoney — January 21, 2008 @ 5:57 AM

these look incredible! so dark and fudgy with a great chocolate topping.

Elise — January 21, 2008 @ 7:12 AM

I just looked all over our local grocery store for espresso powder and couldn’t find it. :-( Ah well, love the idea for these brownies!

LyB — January 21, 2008 @ 2:18 PM

I just recently discovered espresso powder and I love it! These brownies look sinfully delicious! :)

Miss Scarlett — January 21, 2008 @ 2:23 PM

These look more like fudge than brownies! They look incredibly rich and moist. Great photos too.

RecipeGirl — January 21, 2008 @ 3:40 PM

slowlikehoney & lyb- Yep, pretty incredible and sinful.

elise- I had to visit a few stores before I actually found the stuff- good luck!! Use strong coffee if you can’t locate it.

miss scarlett- definitely a fudge like quality to them. Those two layers of icing really do it :) Thanks for the photo compliment… something I’ve been working on!

Thanks for stopping by all!

Evelin — January 21, 2008 @ 6:04 PM

This looks so sweet and luscious! For me it’s the cream cheese layer that does the trick – it just looks so good:)

VeggieGirl — January 21, 2008 @ 6:55 PM

the addition of cinnamon sounds lovely with the espresso/chocolate combination – adds a nice “flavor kick” I bet!!

I must say, the photographs of your food are absolutely stunning – you have a good eye for food photography, for sure!!

JEP — January 22, 2008 @ 12:52 AM

I’m another one who will be looking for espresso powder!

Anna — January 22, 2008 @ 5:49 PM

Those look delicious. I wonder how they stack up to the “Coffee ‘n Cream” brownies from Taste of Home?

RecipeGirl — January 22, 2008 @ 9:49 PM

Hmmm….Anna- I’ve not tried the coffee brownies from Taste of Home. Those sound good too!

Judith — June 25, 2008 @ 5:26 PM

Oh how funny! I happen to have just bought the exact same jar of espresso powder pictured for another recipe that calls for coffee granules, because I couldn’t find plain old instant coffee at the co-op. I just need walnuts, heavy whipping cream, and bittersweet chocolate and I’m good to go.

Indigo — June 25, 2008 @ 5:36 PM

Nnngh, those are such incredible brownies. I’m completely in awe, cause I suck to the nth degree at brownie baking. I think I’ll have to try these, you know, for practice.

hanna — June 25, 2008 @ 8:09 PM

Omg, those must be the best brownies ever!

My Sweet & Saucy — June 25, 2008 @ 8:23 PM

Perfect…I can always use another brownie recipe! Especially since this one is “cappuccino”!

Half Baked — June 25, 2008 @ 8:42 PM

These brownies look awesome. So rich and fudgy…to die for!!

Sally — June 25, 2008 @ 11:47 PM

Printed off and a doer this weekend coming.Thank you R.G. Look yummy.

Jenn's Baking Chamber — December 10, 2008 @ 3:42 PM

Yum, what great flavor combination’s! thanks for the recipe!

Gourmet Mama — June 20, 2009 @ 7:10 AM

Cappucino brownies sound divine! And they came out looking so rich and fudgy. This is surely a wonderful treat. I am extra grateful for the photos of the step by step instructions. Makes redoing this recipe all the more easier. Thanks.