Red Velvet Cupcakes

Featured on the latest cover of Better Homes and Garden’s Magazine, these Red Velvet Cupcakes are a pretty and delicious choice for Valentine’s Day. (This is my pic, but it’s similar to the cover shot.) I used the recipe for Chocolate Snaps to make the little chocolate heart accompaniments.

Better Homes also featured a Buttercream Frosting recipe. Though the cupcakes at the top look pretty, my family preferred the delicious buttercream on top. The buttercream frosting is super creamy and easy to pipe or spread. If you use this recipe, you’ll need to store the cupcakes in the refrigerator. The Chocolate Hearts were a nice addition.

The Red Velvet Cupcake… undressed!

Recipes can be found here:
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Buttercream Frosting

Enjoy!

15 Responses to “Red Velvet Cupcakes”

getinmybelly — February 10, 2008 @ 9:45 PM

Those cupcakes are gorgeous… especially the first picture!

Anna Haight — February 10, 2008 @ 10:05 PM

These look lovely!

Medena — February 10, 2008 @ 10:52 PM

I have that issue of Better Homes and Gardens, and I was thinking about making those cupcakes too!
    Yours look very delicious with frosting, and yeah I would preffer them with frosting too! Mhmmmm…

Peter M — February 11, 2008 @ 12:16 AM

These would make nice offerings at the office and as always, the frosting gets eaten first!

RecipeGirl — February 11, 2008 @ 6:31 AM

Getinmmybelly & Anna- Thanks :)

Medina- The cover is irresistible, isn’t it?

Peter- Don’t skip out on the cake part… they’re very moist and delicious!

Susan from Food Blogga — February 11, 2008 @ 10:54 PM

Perfect color, perfect shape, perfect cupcakes!

janelle — February 13, 2008 @ 5:37 PM

COOL. These are so fun; a nice alternative to my usual sugar cookies:).

eliza — February 14, 2008 @ 5:48 AM

i love the cupcakes, the first photo is very gorgeous, magazine-worthy picture!

RecipeGirl — February 15, 2008 @ 2:04 PM

Susan- Thanks for a perfectly nice comment!

Janelle- Well, I made those too this year, but these were better!

Eliza- Thanks for the nice compliment! That’s actually a replica of what BH&G did on their cover so I can’t take all the credit!

cheese puff — February 18, 2008 @ 3:21 PM

That is one unique cupcake! So pretty~

Alexandra — July 3, 2008 @ 8:01 PM

Hi Recipe girl, I was searching online for great cupcake recipes because I am catering a friend’s wedding and they want cupcakes instead of a traditional wedding cake. I loved these pictures and so did the bride, I can’t wait to try out the recipe. I was wondering if you know if any of the ingredients (cake, frosting or cookie) can be frozen for a week ahead of time to make prep a little easier on the big day?

RecipeGirl — July 3, 2008 @ 9:26 PM

Hi Alexandra,
    The cookies can definitely be prepared ahead of time and frozen. I have some in my freezer right now because I made a few to make oreos with. I believe that the prepared cupcakes would freeze well (haven’t done it myself, but if they were stored properly I don’t see why they wouldn’t freeze well.) The frosting should not be made until the day of the event. Depending on the weather of the day, you might consider doing a cream cheese type frosting instead as I believe that this frosting worked best when it was refrigerated and kept cool. Good luck!

Forties Housewife — August 8, 2008 @ 7:44 PM

Hi Recipe Girl!

These look amazing!! i am going to try the recipe next week so will let you know the results

x

Susan McLaughlin — July 11, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Hi I’m sorry for the confusion trying to write to you, but for a novice like me, you need to say email address, etc.anyway I tried to write and I’m not sure you got my email.

The other day I made the chocolate cupcakes with a peppermint patty and they turned out fantastic. So, I thought I would try your red vellvet recipe. I am pretty sure that I followed the recipe exactly. They are so light they are like air. Even though I don’t think I overfilled the cupcakes, they baked over the top. My husband said they taste okay, but they did not bake pretty. I could not give them away. Another thing is that they stuck to the papers real bad.

Some time ago I tried joy of baking red velvet, and they turned out good, so I don’t know what the problem is.

I was so impressed with your chocolate peppermint, that is why I tried these. I love to decorate cakes, and I do it for fun and when I get the chance I will sell a cake.

Thanks for your help. On, I had some extra batter, so I added some flour and a little more chocolate and baked the final seven cupcakes. They turned out good.

Thanks for your time and consideration. I am trying to find my own “tried and true recipes”. I hope you understand

Tha ks. Sir mclaughlin

Lori Lange — July 12, 2012 @ 3:55 AM

I’m not sure what went wrong. Perhaps overbeating? Too many air bubbles in there? Sometimes cupcakes stick to the papers- it just depends which papers you’re using. I like to use papers with a waxy finish so they pop right out. They can be found in baking supply stores.