Meyer Lemon Loaf

I needed a hostess gift for a dinner that we were attending last night, and thought that something made with Meyer Lemons would be appropriate. The inspiration for my Meyer Lemon Loaf recipe came from a delightful blog called The Barmy Baker. The recipe itself originated in Desserts by Pierre Herme.

I had never purchased a Meyer Lemon before… until yesterday. Lately I’ve been reading all about wonderful Meyer Lemon creations on various blogs, so I decided to jump on the Meyer Lemon Bandwagon and bake something with these wonderful jewels. I bought two bags of Meyer lemons at my grocery store. So pretty. A deep orangey-yellow sort of color… soft and ripe and an unbelievably luscious scent.

The lemon flavor in this wonderful loaf cake comes primarily from the rind of three Meyer lemons.

The rind is pressed into the white sugar to create “lemon sugar,” which is then mixed with eggs.

Cake flour makes this more of a cake than a quick bread. Added sour cream and melted butter are the key to its moistness. There’s also a wee bit of rum in it. Typically, I despise rum cake so I was a little worried, but you really can’t detect rum flavor in the finished product.

Yep, it makes two loaves! One for my lovely hostess gift, and one for us to chow down on. I love the way it puffs up in the middle and allows the lemony yummy goodness to peek through the top. Per The Barmy Baker’s suggestion, I brushed lemon simple syrup on top to give it a little extra puckery oomph.

See those little flecks of yellow?… that’s the big-time flavorful Meyer Lemon peel! This cake is soooooo moist. It’s a bit like pound cake- only a touch lighter. A nice cup of tea or a mug ‘o coffee with a slice of this, and you’re good to go.

The lemons smelled so amazing that I actually peeled one open and ate it like an orange. Wow! It was surprisingly delicious- and much sweeter than the typical sour lemon.

YUM!! And I have 5 more Meyer Lemons to play with!! Hmmm… there might be some homemade Meyer Lemon Curd in my future.

Among my plans for spring planting… a Meyer Lemon tree, of course!

This recipe can be found HERE.

18 Responses to “Meyer Lemon Loaf”

VeggieGirl — February 16, 2008 @ 5:18 PM

oooh, how gorgeous and refreshing is that lemon loaf?!?! looks fabulous!!

Peter M — February 16, 2008 @ 8:09 PM

Lori, a nice syrupy glaze would top this cake off beautifully.

RecipeGirl — February 16, 2008 @ 8:43 PM

VeggieGirl- Thanks :)

Peter- And that’s exactly what I put on top… a lemon simple syrup!

Kate — February 16, 2008 @ 9:45 PM

This looks just beautiful. I am fortunate enough to have a neighbor with a gung-ho producing Meyer Lemon Tree. I love to zest them and keep the zest in a baggie in my freezer door. It’s so nice to have a touch of zest whenever I want it. I use the bald lemons for something at least once a day. I’m going to give your cakes a whirl, they look delicious.

Brilynn — February 16, 2008 @ 9:49 PM

Beautiful pics! I’ve still never used meyer lemons, I’m so behind the times…

ali — February 17, 2008 @ 2:30 AM

Recipe Girl, this looks luscious. i feel so fortunate to now be living in a land of lemons. i bought my first ever meyer lemon a few weeks ago at the thursday Oceanside farmers’ market. haven’t baked anything with them yet, but am amazed at how juicy they are. i am very much looking forward to trying this loaf!

ali

RecipeGirl — February 17, 2008 @ 3:05 AM

Kate- lucky you with the endless supply of lemons! I never think to zest and freeze. What a great idea :)

Brilynn- hey, it’s never too late. This was my first time using them too!

Ali- I was super happy with them too. Can’t wait to go out and buy a Meyer Lemon tree to plant this spring. I need to get myself out to Farmer’s Markets more!!

Michelle — February 17, 2008 @ 5:26 AM

I’ve never purchased Meyer lemons either, but I know I need to. This looks luscious!

Anonymous — February 17, 2008 @ 8:22 PM

i saw your post this morning and have just finished baking my loaf – it looks and smells amazing! thanks for sharing.
    -carmen

Terri @ The Burning Kitchen — February 17, 2008 @ 10:30 PM

This looks wonderful. I love anything lemon!! Thanks for the recipe.

Terri

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter — February 18, 2008 @ 12:28 PM

A nice blog, worth my stopping by. Will experiment with Meyer Lemon loaf. Greetings to you from Botswana.

Patricia Scarpin — February 18, 2008 @ 6:14 PM

Wow, can I come for breakfast?? This looks so delicious!

Mansi Desai — February 18, 2008 @ 9:20 PM

never tried lemon cakes efore, but the meyer lemons seem to be inviting! loved the loaf:)

RecipeGirl — February 18, 2008 @ 11:40 PM

Michelle- Go for it!

Carmen- let me know how you liked it!

Terri- you’re welcome…

Anamika- lovely blog you have, and thanks for visiting all the way from Botswana!

Patricia- we chose to use this as a dessert cake rather than breakfast. It’s all gone now!

Mansi- Thanks!

Susan from Food Blogga — February 19, 2008 @ 12:57 PM

I’m on such a citrus cake lately –oranges, lemons, grapefruits, the quats…. Now you show me this fabulously sunshiny cake! What’s a girl to do but get baking again?

eliza — February 21, 2008 @ 5:26 AM

how wonderful if you could have a lemon tree in the backyard. i long to have one too and i believe my local nursery sells it. don’t know whether it’d survive oregon’s weather :)

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — March 7, 2008 @ 3:07 AM

After complaining about it for years, I finally found Meyer lemons in my market. Hurrah!!! I bought a dozen! The first thing I did was make this cake. I’m waiting for it to cool right now. Next comes Hermes’ lemon cream! :D

Anonymous — February 4, 2009 @ 2:50 AM

I baked this today and it is perfect! Thanks for a great recipe!!!