Meyer Lemon Curd

I’ve learned something this week. When life gives you Meyer Lemons, you should definitely, without question, most undoubtedly make Meyer Lemon Curd.

Why I haven’t discovered Meyer Lemons until a couple of days ago is beyond me. I’ve already made an unbelievable Lemon Loaf Cake. Left with 5 remaining lemons, I wasn’t about to let those luscious pieces of fruit grow mold on my countertop. I set out to make a personal favorite that I’ve always purchased… lemon curd. But this wasn’t going to be just any lemon curd… this was Meyer Lemon Curd. And I knew it was going to be something special.I pulled a clipping from an old Gourmet magazine that had been filed away. Ingredients included zest, juice, sugar, eggs and butter. The recipe seemed so simple that I began to doubt my ability in putting together such an epicurean joy.

The whole lot was mixed together in a metal bowl and set over simmering water until an instant-read thermometer registered 160 degrees F. (about 5 minutes.) Then the mixture was forced through a fine sieve to rid the curd of chunky zest. That was it! Done! Couldn’t have been easier.

Straight from the pan, the curd was warm and pourable. Refrigerated overnight, it thickened and became a spreadable product.

A perfect gift to place in a jar, you may choose to give it away with a basket of muffins or scones. Mine is sitting in my refrigerator waiting for me to make some scones for tomorrow’s breakfast. No one’s gettin’ this stuff. Of course, the recipe was easy enough that I wouldn’t hesitate to make more if I were to come upon another windfall of Meyer Lemons.

Go ahead, take a spoonful!

This recipe can be found here:  Meyer Lemon Curd

24 Responses to “Meyer Lemon Curd”

Cookie baker Lynn — February 20, 2008 @ 8:08 PM

It looks gorgeous! I’d always been put off from lemon curd by the name. Curd just sounds off. The first time I tried it at a fancy tea, I renamed it Spoonfuls of Lemon Deliciousness. Yours looks particularly yummy.

Liz — February 20, 2008 @ 10:00 PM

This looks delicious — I’ll have to give it a try once I figure out how to avoid eating regular lemon curd straight from the fridge, by the spoonful…

Josie — February 21, 2008 @ 1:21 AM

Oh good lord. My mouth literally just started watering. Can you ship me some Meyer Lemons?! :) (or just a jar of your curd? :) )

RecipeGirl — February 21, 2008 @ 1:28 AM

Lynn- I’m with you. Curd sounds a little poopy, doesn’t it? I love your name for it :)

Liz- It’s hard to resist, isn’t it?

Josie- Wish I could ship you some, but I’m quite sure that you’re completely capable of making this one yourself- so easy! btw- you can make it with regular lemons too!

VeggieGirl — February 21, 2008 @ 2:34 AM

anything with lemon in it is just SO refreshing – looks fabulous!

Gretchen Noelle — February 21, 2008 @ 3:12 AM

Great pics! I love the idea of lemon curd, although I have never tried a meyer lemon.

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — February 21, 2008 @ 5:26 AM

I absolutely love homemade lemon curd. Your photos are making me drool! It looks gorgeous.

Joanna in the kitchen — February 21, 2008 @ 8:12 AM

Look great. That reminds me I haven’t had a Lemon curd for ages. That’s the highest time to have it again :-) Great pics.

Peter M — February 21, 2008 @ 8:35 AM

Lemon, sugar, eggs…what a simple yet tasty combo.

Bring on the lemon meringue pie!

Bellini Valli — February 21, 2008 @ 11:09 AM

I saw some Meyer lemons in a grocery store not long ago..the problem is which one ??????? I have been reading their accolades for some time now. Thank you for visiting my site. I love to discover new (to me) blogs :D …I’ll be back :D

Rosie — February 21, 2008 @ 3:34 PM

I have just come across your lovely blog from valli at More Than Burnt Toast.

Your curd looks gorgeous I just adore citrus flavours! My mouth is watering hankering for a taste off your spoon :)

I will be calling by again to view your wonderful creations!

Rosie x

ali — February 21, 2008 @ 5:13 PM

Recipe Girl — I am loving the way you are just attacking these Meyer lemons! lemon curd is one of my favorite foods … meyer lemon curd sounds divine.

Thanks for tagging me. I am new to tagging, but will partake in this cyber game — it sounds like fun.

Ali

Patricia Scarpin — February 21, 2008 @ 7:34 PM

I should be so lucky to receive a jar of something so delicious!

swirlingnotions — February 21, 2008 @ 9:27 PM

I’ve got to try this! I just bought a new trifle bowl and I have a bag of meyer lemons in the fridge . . . so I think I know what dessert will be this weekend. Thanks! And thanks, too, for stopping by Swirling Notions!

Erika of Sweet Pea Blog — February 21, 2008 @ 9:31 PM

Hi,
    this is my 1st visit to your blog, and I must say how pleased I am that you left a comment on my post and that we are now connected. My fiancé will love this recipe for lemon curd, and even thought the summer is still far away :( I keep my eyes open for lemon receipes – as living not so far from Spain, friends keep us well stocked. Speak soon.

JEP — February 22, 2008 @ 1:00 AM

I would love to tackle this recipe & I know anything lemon is bound to help bail me out of the winter blah’s!

Kevin — February 22, 2008 @ 2:54 AM

That looks so good. The lemon curd turned out perfectly.

Karen — February 22, 2008 @ 3:08 PM

I love, love lemon curd!
    How lucky you are to have Meyer lemons, too.

Check out Dorie’s recipe for lemon curd in her Baking at Home – it is to DIE for!

superluckykitchen — February 22, 2008 @ 5:29 PM

this looks amazing. i think i have to go and try this now… snow day and all…

RecipeGirl — February 22, 2008 @ 6:33 PM

Thank you again everyone for all of your kind words… I do hope you’ll try it!

Rachael — February 26, 2008 @ 6:34 PM

My mouth is watering : ) I’ll definitely be trying this. I recently blogged about some lemon gelato that turned out amazing… I served it with ginger cookies, but the textures weren’t quite right together. I could see using this lemon curd for a ginger cookie sandwich – oh yum!

Chuck — March 8, 2008 @ 3:10 PM

Lori, this lemon curd looks delicious. I created a link from my Lemon Brioche Croissant post to your Meyer Lemon Curd. For those people who are not lazy like me ;)

Sandy Smith — September 3, 2008 @ 2:23 AM

This looks so good! Can’t get Meyer lemons easily on the East Coast, so my husband bought me a little potted Meyer lemon tree for my birthday last year. I have 3 lemons on it, and they’ve been ripening for almost 10 MONTHS. Someday, when they’re actually yellow, maybe I’ll get to make something with them! :)

Mandy — September 15, 2008 @ 5:42 PM

I hope this is as easy as you say it is. I’m going to maek the Lemon Brioche Croissants from thekneadforbread.com and they suggested your lemon curd for the filling.

Thanks!