Dorie Greenspan’s Cream Scones

Since I made that unbelievable Meyer Lemon Curd, I was in need of coming up with a baked treat in which to utilize it. Browsing my baking cookbooks, I turned to Dorie for help. She has a simple Cream Scones recipe in Baking from My Home to Yours. Oh yeah… perfect!

What Dorie doesn’t know (or maybe she does now) is that there is a error in her recipe. The recipe lists currants as an ingredient, but nowhere in the directions does it say to add currants to the recipe. I modified that in my directions but by the time I realized it in my preparations, I had already formed the scone rounds. Not wanting to disturb the chemistry of the ingredients, I studded the currants on top of the rounds. That worked out just fine but I might like to have had some currants within my scones as well. Next time

I think many people avoid making scones because they’re unsure of how to shape them. You don’t need a special scone pan, you simply score the dough prior to baking. The baked scone loaf pulls apart easily to reveal small triangular scones.

This recipe makes enough for 12 small scones. Some scone recipes I’ve made aren’t good when eaten the next day. Not the case with Dorie’s scones. These were quite good the next morning. Still moist and flaky and not dry at all.

And these were oh-so-yummy warmed up with spoonfuls of lemon curd!

A big dollop, maybe two… a great breakfast or afternoon tea treat!

This recipe can be found HERE.

7 Responses to “Dorie Greenspan’s Cream Scones”

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — February 22, 2008 @ 3:15 AM

I made those scones once too. I didn’t even notice the omission. I just threw the currants in the mix. Shows how much I pay attention! They will be a great complement to your gorgeous lemon curd.

Peter M — February 22, 2008 @ 1:31 PM

Ahhh, you completed me with the dollop of lemon curd on the scone.

Bellini Valli — February 22, 2008 @ 3:13 PM

Love the scones with the lemon curd. One of my friends is in San Diego right now, it is raining..but she says there are palm trees so it is all good:D

Rosie — February 22, 2008 @ 4:16 PM

You know when you think of lemons and all your mouth waters, well this is just what happened to me viewing your delightful scones and curd – gorgeous! :D

Rosie x

Anna — February 22, 2008 @ 6:00 PM

Interesting there’s an error. Do you know if your book is one of the first editions? There are a few errors in the first edition of Pastry Queen by Rebecca Rather — very minor, like discrepencies in pictures that go with recipes, but RR mentioned they were changing them in the next edition.

RecipeGirl — February 22, 2008 @ 6:31 PM

Sticky & Peter- yep, great w/ the lemon curd!

Val- Still raining here, but still beautiful!

Rosie- Thanks!!

Anna- I have the 2006 copyright version.. not sure if that’s the first printing… but you could be right that they may have changed it later. It must be quite frustrating for cookbook authors to notice little errors like that after it publishes!

ali — February 22, 2008 @ 11:24 PM

recipe girl, i just might have to bake these this weekend … the in-laws are coming

it will be my first baking escapade on the West Coast.