Recipes Using Arugula

“Arugula. It’s a Ve- ge – ta- ble” – it’s a famous quote from Steve Martin in the movie My Blue Heaven - when his Italian character is having difficulty locating the vegetable in a small town grocery store. I only know this because dear hubby is a “movie line guy” – one of those fascinating people who can quote more lines from movies than the average movie buff. In any case, every time I prepare a recipe that includes this leafy vegetable, I inevitably hear the movie line. Sigh.

From the mustard family, arugula has relations to radishes and watercress, and the flavor of the leaves is similarly hot and peppery. Larger, tougher leaves are more appropriate for sauteing and cooking into dishes, and the smaller, younger leaves have a milder taste and are great in salads.

Here’s what we had last night…

A really s-i-m-p-l-e salad…. Arugula Salad with Olives, Pancetta and Parmesan Shavings. I doubted this 6 ingredient salad. The dressing was made up of only lemon juice and olive oil. Well… that’s all it needed. This was FANTASTIC. My husband enthusiastically declared this salad as “Restaurant Quality!” This is his highest level of praise for my cooking.

We’ve successfully used arugula in other dishes…

And chicken… Gruyere, Arugula and Prosciutto Stuffed Chicken Breasts

And sandwiches…. Chicken and Arugula Sandwiches

I’ve heard that arugula is also fantastic in pasta dishes. Haven’t tried it that way yet but I imagine I’ll get around to that sooner or later.

Printable recipes can be found by clicking on the titles of the recipes above.

Enjoy!

9 Responses to “Recipes Using Arugula”

1. postedFeb 23, 2008 4:04 PM
    HoneyB

Looks delish! I have to try that salad soon!

2. postedFeb 23, 2008 10:54 PM
    VeggieGirl

Haha, I love that quote :0)

There are so many ways to use arugula – I love its peppery, zesty flavor!

3. postedFeb 24, 2008 2:15 AM
    Cynthia

When I first tasted arugula, I loved it but now as I’ve gotten older, not so much :)

You have a place chock-full of info too and I look forward to dipping in for inspiration.

Thanks for visiting my blog and helping me to discover yours. See you around.

4. postedFeb 24, 2008 2:16 AM
    Cynthia

Oh, to answer the questions about getting ackee in California. I am not sure, check a West Indian or ethnic store, you may find the canned variety.

5. postedFeb 24, 2008 3:43 PM
    Rosie

I love the sound of that peppery flavour and I could just bite into one of your chicken & arugula sandwiches right now!!

Rosie x

6. postedFeb 25, 2008 9:28 PM
    Karen

Yes, it’s true that life without arugula wouldn’t be nearly as tasty!

I just love Steve Martin.

7. postedFeb 26, 2008 6:30 PM
    Rachael

mmm, I am a big fan of arugula. Lately I’ve been keeping a container of the pre-washed, organic baby arugula in my fridge. I add it, like parsley, to everything – though my favorite is to add a half cup or so to pasta sauce. I love the fresh bitter flavor.

8. postedFeb 27, 2008 12:33 AM
    Kim

Arugula is on my top 10 favorite foods list.
    I forget to buy it during the winter because it is so expensive, but will get some this week to try the salad. The food all looks good, thanks for the recipes.

9. postedFeb 28, 2008 8:49 PM
    Cookie baker Lynn

So funny – I, too, hear Steve Martin in my head every time I see arugula. Lots of delicious ways to serve it here!