Buttermilk Brown Sugar Waffles

Happy Weekends begin with comforting breakfasts!

When I was little I remember begging my mother, along with my siblings, to go to Winchell’s Donuts for a special treat on the weekends. Once in a while we talked our way into that one. More often though, Mom made special weekend breakfasts… usually waffles, pancakes or French toast. My favorite was waffles- the round kind from the older-style waffle irons. I try to do the same as Mom… an occasional fun breakfast on the weekends for my family.

By special request today from my 6 year old… “Waffles Mommy! Please???” Dang it! Those cute, little dimples get me every time. So waffles it was: Buttermilk- Brown Sugar Waffles. Since we received our Belgian waffle iron as a wedding gift well over ten years ago, I think I can count on my hand the number of times it’s been put to use. Today… it was put to good use!

We ate our waffles with a smidge of butter, real maple syrup and a dusting of powdered sugar. There really is a distinct difference between- shall we say- box waffles and homemade. It took me a whole 3 minutes more to put this recipe together than it would have if I had taken out a box. Really people… make homemade waffles! Delicious praise was given for preparing this breakfast creation…. These are the best waffles ever! You’re the best Mom in the world! These are restaurant quality! You sure can’t beat the feeling you get when your child delivers such accolades.

Sometimes the simplest things can create the warmest memories!

This recipe can be found HERE.

7 Responses to “Buttermilk Brown Sugar Waffles”

Jessy and her dog Winnie — March 2, 2008 @ 2:03 AM

Waffles sound really good right about now. lol. Nice pictures!

Laura — March 2, 2008 @ 5:33 AM

Yum, yum and yum! I love brown sugar and I love starch in the morning. I must confess my waffle maker is goodness only knows where–have you tried the recipe for pancakes?

P.S. Have you ever tried butter and brown sugar ON your pancakes in place of the syrup? That’s pretty yummy too. ;)

Peter M — March 2, 2008 @ 4:19 PM

Although the process is tedious, homemade waffles are hard to beat.

Rosie — March 2, 2008 @ 9:26 PM

Scrummy waffles and something I could just sink my teeth into now!! :D Lovely photos too.

Rosie x

Bellini Valli — March 3, 2008 @ 1:23 PM

It is breakfast time here but looks like I am having homefries and tomatoes…no waffles :(
    I love how the butter and syrup accumulates in the little pockets:D

Mansi Desai — March 3, 2008 @ 8:59 PM

that looks totally sinful! but I’m hosting WBB – Balanced Breakfasts event this month, so could you send in a more healthier recipe?:)

I’d be glad if you could participate….event details on my blog…

Anali — April 15, 2008 @ 5:42 PM

I loved this recipe! I made them this morning, but I used rice milk instead of buttermilk. I also just blogged about them! Thanks for the recipe! : )