A Slice of Life in Sunny San Diego

Ah… there is nothing like a beautiful perfect weekend in Southern California! While the rest of the world may be in the midst of end-of-winter storms or blah rainy days, the sun is shining brightly upon us. So I invite you to see what most days look like in San Diego, and what one family of San Diegans might do on such a breathtaking day…

After spending the afternoon planting herbs and washing the cars, the RecipeGirl family hopped into the weekend convertible and headed to the beach to search for… Mexican food! Lately this has been starting to sound like a Mexican food blog! Not to worry… we do love our share of tacos and burritos, but I will get back to blogging about other foods eventually! Sunny day in San Diego = perfect time to grab Mexican food.

Our favorite place is nothing fancy- Roberto’s in Del Mar. My husband has been coming to this place for the last 24 years. It must be good if it’s been in business that long, no? Don’t you love how the sign says Very Mexican Food? I’m not quite sure what that means, but they have the good stuff. We ordered shrimp burritos, chips and guac and a quesadilla for the kiddo. And a trip to Roberto’s would not be complete without an order of rolled tacos with guacamole. This is pretty much a weekly staple in every San Diegan’s diet (or at least a once-in-while chow- down treat.) I know it doesn’t look like much, but trust me… YUM!

Our view from the deck of the Mexican food shack…

A Mexican meal just doesn’t seem complete without a margarita, but at a little place like this, there aren’t any adult beverages to be found.

So we went home and made our own: Old Town Margaritas.

And that recipe can be found HERE.

A perfect ending to a perfect day :)

Hasta Manana!

14 Responses to “A Slice of Life in Sunny San Diego”

VeggieGirl — March 10, 2008 @ 11:29 AM

looks like some great food and weather out in San Diego!! I’m quite envious, since there’s about 7 feet of snow here (no exaggeration). Enjoy it for me! :0)

Caroline online — March 10, 2008 @ 12:05 PM

What a nice post/day!

Elle — March 10, 2008 @ 12:33 PM

Planting herbs? Lucky! Here in NH, we can’t do that until the end of May, lol. And as for Roberto’s, sometimes the most unfancy places have the greatest food, right? We have a lot of drive-in seafood places like that in New England, where we go to get fried clams and scallops in the summertime.

Thanks for sharing your sunny, warm day!

offthemeathook — March 10, 2008 @ 3:46 PM

I went to college in San Diego so I’ve had my share of rolled tacos… but I’m incredibly impressed that you were able to make them look so attractive in that picture, since I don’t think of them as pretty, lol! You have great photos. Makes me want to take a visit back there. Thanks for sharing.

ali — March 10, 2008 @ 4:22 PM

oh man, those rolled tacos look amazing! i didn’t get to take my dad there this weekend … i am seriously regretting it now!

ali

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — March 10, 2008 @ 4:32 PM

Sounds like a perfect day! We did much the same this weekend. Saturday was breathtakingly beautiful here. So we piled everyone in the car and spent the afternoon at a charming and rustic seafood camp on the Myakka River. Good food and good music = great fun! The kids were disappointed not to see any alligators, though. ;)

Cookie baker Lynn — March 10, 2008 @ 5:06 PM

Wish I were there! It all looks perfect.

Please stop by my blog to pick up an award!

Jenny — March 10, 2008 @ 7:56 PM

Looks beautiful and who doesn’t love some good rolled tacos?!! I just love visiting Del Mar. We took the boys to Lego Land last year and strolled through Del Mar, what a beautiful little town! I’ll definately have to check out Roberto’s next time we’re there! We are huge Mexican Food fans!

Kevin — March 11, 2008 @ 12:36 AM

I sure am looking forward to warm and sunny days. Rolled tacos sound like they would hit the spot about now.

HoneyB — March 11, 2008 @ 12:56 AM

I’m so jealous of what beautiful weather you are having! We had over a foot of snow over the weekend here! I wish Grumpy would eat Mexican food. I have only gotten him to agree to go once and that was for my birthday one year. Go figure!

Jessy and her dog Winnie — March 11, 2008 @ 2:12 AM

I wish I lived in California!

Peter M — March 11, 2008 @ 5:01 AM

Care to switch locations???

RecipeGirl — March 11, 2008 @ 5:09 AM

VeggieGirl: Sometimes I wish we could have snow too.

Caroline: Thank you- it was quite nice!

Elle: Yep, we actually planted our garden a couple of weeks ago. It’s nice and warm. We spend much of our summer in Massachusetts so I love those seafood shacks!

Off- lucky you. I attended college in SD too- lots of midnight trips to Mexican fast food!

Ali- You’ll have to try it another time :)

Sticky- Sounds like a great time. I’m not sure I’d like to run into an alligator!

Lynn: What a great compliment- thank you for the award :)

Jenny- We head to Del Mar to the beach often- love it!

Kevin- hope you get some sunny days soon!

Honeyb- I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who won’t eat Mexican food!

Jessy- Come for a vacation sometime!

Peter- Unless you live at a ski resort, no… I don’t care to switch locations :) But I do miss the snow!

Tracy — March 11, 2008 @ 11:02 PM

We saw sun in New York today. It made me happy. Frankly, your post makes me feel like we live on two different planets! Herbs in March indeed.