St. Patrick’s Day Recipes

Looking ahead to the big Irish day… I can’t officially call it a tradition in my house as I’m of Swedish/Portuguese ancestry and not Irish. But my husband is just about as Irish- Catholic as they come (and he enjoys his beer) so that gives us reason to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.

Here are a few faves from our big St. Patrick’s Day bash last year:

One of the traditional side dishes, Colcannon, is basically mashed potatoes with pancetta, green onions, and shredded cooked cabbage mixed in. We love this stuff, and it’s a great recipe.

This is absolutely the best Irish Soda Bread recipe I’ve tried: Irish Soda Bread with Raisins and Caraway (I leave out the caraway.) Baked in a cast-iron skillet, it’s as moist as can be. Great sliced up for breakfast too!

Ironically, I’m lacking a to-die-for corned beef recipe. I usually just let the pre-seasoned stuff simmer in a slow cooker all day and it turns out just fine. But this recipe for Grilled Reuben Sandwiches is a delicious way to use up that leftover corned beef (if you have any!)

I LOOOOOOOOVE this recipe for Irish Bread Pudding with Caramel Whiskey Sauce. Totally amazing. Everyone at our dinner party raved about this one.

This Irish Cream Bundt Cake is pretty darn good too!

Feeling inspired to plan a St. Patrick’s Day dinner?

All of the above recipes can be found by clicking on the recipe titles.

15 Responses to “St. Patrick’s Day Recipes”

Peter M — March 11, 2008 @ 5:09 AM

Lori, I’ll have the stacked Reuben please…hot mustard!

EAT! — March 11, 2008 @ 11:37 AM

Your picture of the corned beef and colcannon looks great. It is difficult to make that look like an appetizing meal in a photo. I will start my St. Patrick’s cooking today. Thanks for the recipes.

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — March 11, 2008 @ 12:14 PM

Our Husbands would be best friends! Mine isn’t Catholic, (though he’s belonged to my Catholic church for over 20 years), but he’s Irish and he loooves beer and St. Patrick’s Day!

I’m always looking for a great corned beef recipe too, but I also end up with the spice packet from the package too. As an Italian girl, I never even had CB&C until I got married.

I love all of your menu choices. I usually make Colcannon and Soda Bread too. That Reuben is definitely going into the repertoire!

Pixie — March 11, 2008 @ 2:09 PM

What to eat first, I’ll start with that gorgeous cake and then the reuben sandwich. Fab!

Chuck — March 11, 2008 @ 5:15 PM

Hey Lori,

Your first picture of the Colcannon with Corned Beef looks like the ultimate comfort food for a lazy day just hanging around the house. Mmmm!

michelle @ TNS — March 11, 2008 @ 6:03 PM

i’ve never heard of or had colcannon, but it sounds fab. but it’s the bread pudding that really calling to me. whiskey sauce, mmm…

Jessy and her dog Winnie — March 11, 2008 @ 7:37 PM

All these recipes look great even though I’m not Irish!

Jenny — March 11, 2008 @ 9:42 PM

Beautiful Recipes for St Patty’s day! They all sound delicious! I keep forgetting it’s coming up so quickly along with Easter!

Anonymous — March 11, 2008 @ 11:43 PM

That Irish bread pudding recipe sounds incredibly decadent – I want some! And who says you have to Irish to celebrate St. Patty’s day? My family is Mexican and we celebrate it because my nana was born on the 17th, so it’s all out St. Patty’s with mariachis to boot, lol.

Ari (Baking and Books)

Kevin — March 11, 2008 @ 11:47 PM

What an Irish feast! Those reuben sandwiches look really good! I just tried making an Irish soda bread.

taste memory — March 12, 2008 @ 3:12 PM

now you got me craving corned beef – great photos! yummmm

Cakespy — March 12, 2008 @ 3:50 PM

I have never cared for soda bread but must admit this one is quite handsome looking. But the bread pudding….wow! That bundt cake looks great too!

Caroline online — March 12, 2008 @ 8:43 PM

I’m all decorated for St. Patty’s, and also baking an angel food bundt cake right now – That Irish Cream bundt cake looks good!

Jessica — February 27, 2013 @ 6:48 PM

Kinda sad that as of 2/27/13, the bundt cake recipe is gone :( looks so good too!