Easter Dessert Recipes: Malted Mousse Cake

At age 14 I secured a job in a teeny tiny family-owned fast food restaurant called The Penguin in my home town. It was the kind of place you might stop to grab a burger and a chocolate-dipped cone while on vacation. My starting wage was $2.85 an hour. Yikes! I was happy to be employed, and we were able to eat as much food as we wanted. When the managers left us to close up the place at night, we feasted on our own burger creations, dipped thick steak fries in thousand island dressing, and devoured soft serve ice cream with every flavor syrup you can imagine. Heaven for teenagers, for sure! My absolute favorite was to make a vanilla malt- with extra malt powder. Twenty something years later, I still have that affection for malt.

Whenever Easter rolls around, I become quite addicted to these malted milk eggs!

My Easter dessert choice to bake this week: Malted Mousse Cake.

This cake is almost a cheesecake. It’s a bit lighter in texture, and I’d say it’s more like a cross between a mousse and a cheesecake. The malt flavor comes through- not heavily. Just enough to give you a taste for it, and the malted eggs add a nice complement (as well as cute decor!)

The crust is made out of shortbread cookies, almonds and butter. I used the girl scout shortbread cookies “trefoils.” You may also opt to use amaretti cookies.

It firms up after refrigeration and slices nicely. Isn’t it a cute choice for an Easter dessert?

This recipe can be found here:  Malted Mousse Cake

The Penguin, sadly, no longer exists in my home town. But I sure am enjoying those malt memories!

9 Responses to “Easter Dessert Recipes: Malted Mousse Cake”

Karen — March 21, 2008 @ 12:58 AM

Malt Balls aren’t allowed in my house at Easter Time, I’d eat the entire bag in a day…I have absolutely no will power when it comes to these little babies. Which makes your cake looks positively wonderful! Well done!

Kevin — March 21, 2008 @ 1:13 AM

That looks good. It has been a long time since I last had malt. I will have to get some to remind myself of the flavour. :)

ali — March 21, 2008 @ 4:27 AM

recipe girl,

so beautiful! and festive. a perfect Easter treat!

ali

Gretchen Noelle — March 21, 2008 @ 12:03 PM

Adorable! I love the cake, but even more I would love a bag of those malt balls! Yum!!!

Neen — March 22, 2008 @ 12:50 AM

What a fun experience, working at the family-owned diner! Who cares if they paid less than $3 an hour — you probably earned more than your weight in terms of yummy diner food! MMM malt. I think this is the first time I’ve ever see malt incorporated into a recipe. You got any others up your sleeve?

Peter M — March 22, 2008 @ 1:57 AM

What a cute cake and I’m discovering that the Maltese have quite the roster of dishes.

Jenny — March 22, 2008 @ 5:45 AM

Seriously too cute! My boys would love this! Great for easter!

CupcakeLady — March 22, 2008 @ 1:47 PM

I love Malt Balls, too. I always stock up when Easter is over and I can get them for 1/2 off their regular price.

Mike of Mike's Table — March 24, 2008 @ 3:01 AM

I could eat malted milk balls from sun up til sun down. That cake sounds like a dangerous dessert for my fridge…and it looks perfect for the holiday!