Nigella’s Pear and Ginger Muffins

I’m *officially* up and around again after my hospital stay, and I’m feeling much, much better (thanks so much for all of the well wishes sent my way.)

I’ve definitely been in need of a little comfort around here, and nothing says comfort like a good, warm, homemade muffin. Not having quite the energy yet to cook much, I needed an easy recipe. Nigella Lawson’s newest cookbook- Nigella Express- had such a recipe: Pear and Ginger Muffins. And it served another purpose too: using up that never-ending bag of pears from Costco.

Simple= whisk the dry, whisk the wet, combine, add pears and scoop into tins. There’s a sprinkle of brown sugar on top. I made 6 giant muffins with this recipe, so it would typically make 12 regular-sized muffins.

They rose nicely and were super moist. With 1 teaspoon of ginger within, they definitely had a ginger flavor. Fresh pears were the way to go- they were just so delicious, especially when eaten while warm and oozing with the juicy fruit. The brown sugar gave it a crispy crust of sweetness on top.

This comforting muffin recipe can be found HERE.

And now for a THANK YOU… a couple of weeks ago, Cookie Baker Lynn sent the E for Excellence Award my way. Lynn and her blog are truly a source of inspiration for me. She has wonderful photography, delightful stories, and well-chosen recipes. Thank you Lynn for recognizing me!

This award is passed along to all of the other inspirational, excellent blogs out there. If I’ve ever commented on your blog, consider yourself a winner! If I’ve not yet commented on your blog, then comment on mine so I can have the opportunity to discover yours! My google reader is bursting with wonderful food blog talent these days!!

24 Responses to “Nigella’s Pear and Ginger Muffins”

Chef Erik — March 29, 2008 @ 12:05 AM

I love her cooking style, those muffins look tasty :)

Jenny — March 29, 2008 @ 12:52 AM

These muffins look beautiful! Hope you are feeling better!

Kevin — March 29, 2008 @ 1:24 AM

I really like those huge chunks or pear in those muffins. Perfect.

Melanie — March 29, 2008 @ 2:26 AM

The muffins do look fabulous! I got your comment on my carrot cake post and would love the CI spice cake recipe if you have it to email (melgunnell@hotmail.com). If it is anything like the carrot cake recipe, it has to be a winner.

Psychgrad — March 29, 2008 @ 3:21 AM

Good to hear you’re feeling better.

These muffins look delicious.

liz — March 29, 2008 @ 4:28 AM

Glad you’re feeling better! Beautiful muffins …

Steph — March 29, 2008 @ 4:37 AM

Oh how I love muffins! These sound amazingly delicious!

noble pig — March 29, 2008 @ 5:41 AM

Cannot even believe you are up making these so soon after the gallbladder thing…eeks but geez they look good!

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — March 29, 2008 @ 5:42 AM

I’m glad to see you’re feeling better and back in the kitchen! Your muffins look wonderful! I love the chunks of pear in them, so you can really taste them.

Chuck — March 29, 2008 @ 6:05 AM

Lori,

Firstly, I would like to say that I’m very glad to see you are doing well after your hospital stay and I’m sure your much happier to be at home eating your own food rather then the hospital food.

As to your muffins … I love pears and eat them all the time. But, I never think of putting them in my baked goodies. These muffins look really good.

Gretchen Noelle — March 29, 2008 @ 11:20 AM

Great idea! I have had pear and ginger in mind for a cinnamon style roll. Thought it sounds like a fantastic combo – and look you go and do ti! Yum! Can I have one with my coffee?

LyB — March 29, 2008 @ 3:44 PM

Pears and ginger sound incredible together! Those giant muffins look delicious! Why is it that “giant” muffins and “mini” muffins are always more attractive than “regular” muffins? ;)

Cookie baker Lynn — March 29, 2008 @ 4:43 PM

So glad you’re up and feeling better. Your muffins look like the perfect comfort food!

cakebrain — March 29, 2008 @ 4:44 PM

The muffins looks so yummy with those chunks of pear and the crunchy tops

ali — March 29, 2008 @ 5:57 PM

yay … you’re back on your feet again! these look amazing. can’t wait to try them, and I finally have flour on hand!

ali

Emiline — March 29, 2008 @ 7:06 PM

I’m sorry about your gallstone. Hope you’re feeling better.

Your muffins look delish! That pear and ginger combo is killer, isn’t it? Way to pull through!

Mary Coleman — March 29, 2008 @ 8:22 PM

These look wonderful! I’m feeling the need for a good muffin.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love yours and will be back again!!
    Mary

Patsyk — March 29, 2008 @ 8:23 PM

Those muffins look scrumptious! I haven’t made any recipes by Nigella yet, but I like how simple it is. I’ll be adding it to my already bursting file of recipes to try!

Isa — March 29, 2008 @ 9:11 PM

Love the combination ginger-pears. Muffins look delicious. Thanks for sharing

Simply...Gluten-free — March 29, 2008 @ 9:30 PM

This is my first time to your blog. It is really lovely, I will be back!

Elle — March 30, 2008 @ 12:40 AM

Those look fantastic! I didn’t know you were in the hospital, but I’m so glad you’re better and up and around!

Katerina — March 30, 2008 @ 4:17 AM

Damn, Damn this is the 2nd time I have seen this recipe posted, AND I have the cookbook. I can’t believe I haven’t made them yet. For shame.

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide — March 31, 2008 @ 3:02 AM

I love nigella….she has a nice curvy cookers body. doesn’t look like she is going to blow away w/the powdered sugar.

-C — June 4, 2008 @ 9:39 PM

I’ve been meaning to make these for our church service for ages. I just kept spacing. It’s been months until I finally ran into Nigella’s cookbook at a nearby Barnes and Noble last Monday and went, Duh. I couldn’t find an Americanized version until your blog. Thank you, plus for the luscious pictures. I’m planning to do these next next Sunday, and am hoping like hell to find pears now. I had a helluva time finding blackberries last week for muffins.