Red Pepper- Tomato Sauce

Ahhhh… it’s Spring in San Diego. The flowers are blooming away. The days are warm enough for short sleeves. The frogs are croaking in the canyon at night, prompting begging from my 6 year old to go frog hunting in the evenings. The neighbors are beginning to put their yappy little dog outside so it can bark to no end. The vegetable garden has been planted and has already been eaten some by some sort of mysterious creature. And a nice selection of veggies (at good prices) have been making their debut at Farmer’s Markets and grocery stores.

This puts me in the mood for VEGGIES! The mission: to make a nice, light, fresh pasta sauce for dinner. Bored with marinara, I searched my cookbooks for a recipe. Dianne Rossen Worthington is a cookbook author whose style I’ve found that I enjoy immensely. I have her cookbook, The Cuisine of California- in which I have discovered some real recipe keepers. I just picked up another one of hers called American Bistro. Again… looks like a good one. I found what I needed within this cookbook: Red Pepper- Tomato Sauce.

A very simple sauce, a bit of chopping and then plunging tomatoes into boiling water so that I could easily peel and seed them, and I was on my way.

This sauce has just a small amount of chopped chiles in adobo sauce (found canned in the Latin area of your market.) This gives it just a little bit of umph of smoky, spice flavor. I honestly couldn’t detect it much in the half chile that I put in. I would try a whole chile next time. Speaking of those canned adobos, it took me a while to realize that you could throw the extra chiles in little zips and freeze them for later use. This is super convenient when you only need one!

After simmering away on its own for a while, the mixture is ready for the food processor.

A quick whir, and the sauce is ready for pasta!

I added a good dose of kosher salt and some fresh ground pepper.

I’m off to find pasta and other veggies to accompany this delicious, fresh sauce…. And you can bet I’ll be back with a pasta dish for my next post!

This recipe can be found HERE.

14 Responses to “Red Pepper- Tomato Sauce”

Tracy — March 31, 2008 @ 9:42 PM

Such gorgeous colors on this post! I’m starting to see the tips of daffodils … so spring is on its way here too!

Peter M — March 31, 2008 @ 10:13 PM

This is the second red pepper sauce I’ve seen in as many days and now I’m going to have to play around with this idea.

Garden planted? We have to wait until mid-May!

Karen — March 31, 2008 @ 10:25 PM

That looks amazing! Thanks for posting!

Patsyk — April 1, 2008 @ 12:13 AM

I’m the only one in my house who likes red peppers as a sauce! Maybe I’ll make it anyway, and freeze the leftovers… JUST FOR ME! :)

RecipeGirl — April 1, 2008 @ 12:18 AM

Tracy- Thanks, and glad you’re starting to see Spring too!

Peter- Yep, we actually planted our veggies and fruits at the end of Feb. believe it or not! It’s quite warm here. Only a few things have survived the mysterious creature though :(

Karen- thanks for stopping by!

Patsy- both hubby & son will be eating the sauce for dinner so we’ll see if I can pass one over on them!

Mary Coleman — April 1, 2008 @ 12:19 AM

Fabulous!!!
    Can’t wait to try this one.
    I keep thinking about this as a soup as well, with a bit of lime juice and creme fraiche on the top. I’m starving, can you tell!!
    Love it Lori!!
    Mary

Psychgrad — April 1, 2008 @ 12:25 AM

Looks very nice. I’m getting tired of tomato sauce too. I’m putting this on my list of things to try.

CookiePie — April 1, 2008 @ 3:06 AM

WOW – that sauce looks DEElicious – exactly what I would want on a big steaming bowl of pasta. And I love that you are not shy with the pepper — mmmmm!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide — April 1, 2008 @ 6:53 AM

Let me hear ya say “YUM”

A. Grace — April 1, 2008 @ 8:56 AM

first of all, i’m insanely jealous of your weather–there’s still snow on the ground here in ny. secondly, my neighbors don’t seem to mind leaving their yappy dog outside year-round, and it drives me bonkers. thirdly, this sauce is a must-try, and i’ll definitely go with a whole chile–the spicier, the better! :)

Rosie — April 1, 2008 @ 2:28 PM

Just look at those stunning colours of your sauce! Looks awesome thanks for sharing :)

Rosie x

Kevin — April 2, 2008 @ 12:49 AM

That red pepper and tomato pasta sauce looks really tasty. I like red pepper pasta sauces.

Gretchen Noelle — April 3, 2008 @ 4:44 PM

Sounds delicious! I am wanting to make a sauce from roasted red peppers, but I like the chipotle idea you have here. That may be an addition to mine!

Nicole — April 4, 2008 @ 12:03 AM

Great photos! I put red peppers in my tomato sauce too. But I usually roast them first and then peel add and blend. I will have to try it your way next time and taste the difference! The chiles sound good too!