Strawberry- Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding

Yes, you read that title correctly. Strawberry- Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding. Now, can you say that again without drool coming out of left-hand corner of your mouth?

I’ve been dreaming about strawberries ever since Mike decided to hold a blog event called Strawberry Seduction. He’s been sending food blog readers into swoonsville with countless delicious posts on his own blog (Mike’s Table) that involve this sweet and satisfying fruit.

I made this bread pudding with the suggested challah bread (but you can use any.) It’s typical of bread pudding in that it’s creamy and not low fat by any means. A mere sprinkle of mini chocolate chips adds to the flavor and combines with the strawberries nicely. The recipe also calls for slivered almonds. I thought they were good, but my husband scoffed at the mere thought of putting nuts into bread pudding. (Though he didn’t have any trouble devouring the finished product!)

I brought this dessert to a recent family neighborhood party (an excuse to eat shared dishes and drink wine.) The bread pudding was chilled and then cut into nice, firm wedges and served at room temperature. The men were more drawn to it than the women… I think because the women know how truly fattening bread pudding really is! All enjoyed it though it’s best eaten the day that it’s made.

And here’s a little peek at our strawberry plants that are already sprouting strawberries! Yay! Now, if I can just keep the critters away!!

This recipe can be found here:  Strawberry- Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding

27 Responses to “Strawberry- Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding”

VeggieGirl — April 1, 2008 @ 8:49 PM

strawberry-chocolate chip bread pudding?!?! are you serious?!?! that looks SINFUL!!! love it :0D

noble pig — April 1, 2008 @ 9:13 PM

Oh my, I have never heard of a bread pudding with berries and chips. This looks great! I have tried so many bread puddings, I am always looking for the next greatest recipe…this might be it.

Elle — April 1, 2008 @ 9:56 PM

Wow, strawberries and bread pudding–who’d have thought? It looks so good! And perfect for the spring.

And how adorable is that little strawberry??? We got snow yesterday. hahaha!!

Josie — April 1, 2008 @ 11:05 PM

First and foremost – I AM SO JEALOUS OF YOUR BABY STRAWBERRY!! I want to pick it and eat it :)

Ok now that we have that out of the way – I am normally not a big fan of strawberries and chocolate (or really any fruit and chocolate), but this looks like a recipe my bf would love. I am bookmarking it so I can maybe surprise him with it when he is done with the ginormous project he is currently buried under.

Jessy and her dog Winnie — April 2, 2008 @ 12:05 AM

Yum! I love anything with strawberries!

ali — April 2, 2008 @ 12:30 AM

i am drooling. and your strawberry plant is muy precioso

Kevin — April 2, 2008 @ 12:48 AM

That looks really good. With strawberries, chocolate and bread pudding you just can’t go wrong! …mmm…

Tarah — April 2, 2008 @ 2:40 AM

Oh.. My god! This looks to die for! I love bread pudding AND strawberries! Whats not to love about this? Looks divine!

A. Grace — April 2, 2008 @ 9:23 AM

now just hold on a hot second–bread pudding is fattening? this is disasterous news.

eh, it’s worth it, especially if strawberries and chocolate are involved. :)

diva — April 2, 2008 @ 9:26 AM

i loooove bread pudding. it’s one of my top desserts to have. interesting combo with choc and strawbs-great take on it. a must try i reckon. cheers, great blog by the way. x

Sheltie Girl — April 2, 2008 @ 12:36 PM

This looks yummy. Strawberries and chocolate are one of my favorite combinations!

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

SaraLynn — April 2, 2008 @ 1:25 PM

This looks wonderful! I love the idea of strawberries in bread pudding!

taste memory — April 2, 2008 @ 1:34 PM

strawberries in bread pudding sound tempting – i’m so there for bpudding esp. with berries.

nice photo of the baby berry plant peaking thru – finally spring!

thanks for your earlier comment & I’m so glad I found your site….so many recipes+look forward to reading more!

Georgia — April 2, 2008 @ 2:51 PM

Thanks for the comment! That looks absolutely scrumptious and your daring baker’s cake was one of the prettiest I saw :) Kulpsville is about 6 min from here!

Catherine Wilkinson — April 2, 2008 @ 3:18 PM

how utterly original! I really like this…and I think challah bread would make it, definitely. All these spring recipes! I’ll be baking and cooking until next winter!

Deborah — April 2, 2008 @ 3:50 PM

This sounds absolutely delicious!

Jenny — April 2, 2008 @ 6:44 PM

Now this looks incredible! I love the strawberry plant, soo cute! Great dish!

Mansi Desai — April 2, 2008 @ 6:50 PM

that looks yummy indeed! I’ve been toying with this idea too for Mike’s event, still haven’t decided what to make!:(

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — April 2, 2008 @ 9:45 PM

Looks like a winner to me! Strawberries and chocolate together seems too good to be true.

Anonymous — April 3, 2008 @ 1:36 AM

I LOVE bread pudding, but very much have to have it WARM!!! and with some half and half poured over it in a bowl!!!
    That’s the only way to eat a good bread pudding!! LOL

gail — April 3, 2008 @ 9:15 AM

yummy! i hope strawberry were easy to grow here.

Pixie — April 3, 2008 @ 12:37 PM

This just looks, so gorgeous and huh, the women weren’t keen due to the calories? I would have been happily sharing it with the boys!

AnticiPlate — April 3, 2008 @ 2:12 PM

This could be for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert:)I love challah bread (for french toast), and usually I use brioche for bread pudding. I bet it was amazing!

Rosie — April 3, 2008 @ 4:37 PM

Stunning wow strawberry, chocolate chip bread pudding just so perfect!! Just love the combo of flavours going on here but then who wouldn’t ;)

Rosie x

Mike of Mike's Table — April 4, 2008 @ 2:58 PM

This looks fantastic! I love bread pudding, chocolate, and strawberries. I think the photos also look great–they’re definitely a tricky photo subject when heat is involved, but you got a great photo. Thanks for a great entry :-)

SweetDesigns — April 7, 2008 @ 2:29 PM

WoW! What a great idea. it looks amazing!!!

Johanna — April 8, 2008 @ 1:18 PM

I have seen bread puddings with less eggs and keep meaning to try them but love the choc chip and strawberry combo for a bread and butter pudding! And I agree with you that strawberries lose their beauty once you cook them! But they still make lovely garnishes!