Dorie Greenspan’s Quintuple Chocolate Brownies

A qualified !-*-*INSANE*-*-! brownie… from Dorie’s cookbook: Baking From My Home to Yours. Dorie has done it again. These are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

These Quintuple Chocolate Brownies (which are more on the fudgy side than cakey) incorporate FOUR kinds of chocolate: unsweetened, bittersweet (or semi), milk and white. The milk is left as “chunks” within the finished product, and the white chocolate acts as an icing. I’m not even a big fan of white chocolate, but somehow turning it into a ganache really works, and I loved it! Dorie suggests adding nuts- no nuts for us though. We’re not really a *nut* family :)
My son saw me making these this morning and asked if I would save him a piece for a snack after school. He popped in the door this afternoon and immediately requested a brownie.

How about “Hello?” I said. How about, “How was your day, Mom?”

“Oh, Hi Mom. Can I please have one of those brownies?”

“Sure thing sweetie.”

He spied a big container of raspberries lying on the counter.

“Can I please have some raspberries on my brownie?”

“Hmmm. Ok.”

His impoliteness was forgiven. Brilliant child. The raspberries were a great addition, and they they made for a pretty picture!

This recipe can be found here:  Quintuple Chocolate Brownies

44 Responses to “Dorie Greenspan’s Quintuple Chocolate Brownies”

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — April 5, 2008 @ 4:57 AM

Those brownies realy do look “insane”! I made these once, but they weren’t nearly as pretty!

Emiline — April 5, 2008 @ 5:26 AM

OH MAN! Those look fabulous. That looks like a brownie from a textbook. I’ll have to try these sometime. Don’t let me forget.

Next time force your kids to do housework before they get a brownie.

noble pig — April 5, 2008 @ 5:35 AM

Oh wow, with that frosting dripping off the sides, it looks killer and probably tastes that way too. Holy moley is all I can say!

Tarah — April 5, 2008 @ 5:41 AM

Ahh. You hit me where it hurts… That looks beautifully delicious!

Chuck — April 5, 2008 @ 6:33 AM

Lori!

My sweet tooth is screaming right now. Quintuple Chocolate Brownies … I’m in heaven just looking at them.

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide — April 5, 2008 @ 7:05 AM

Just when you think brownies can’t get any better…..HOLY COW!! My husband would love these. Is this a cookbook I need to invest in??? I have been seeing a lot of stuff from your circle of bakers lately referencing this Doris.

Grace — April 5, 2008 @ 9:52 AM

i’ve had a regular brownie. i’ve had a double chocolate brownie. i’ve had a triple chocolate brownie. clearly, they get exponentially better. now you’ve gone and skipped quadruple and gone straight to quintuple? i can hardly wrap my head around it! :)

hold on a hot second–does cocoa powder qualify as the fifth chocolate?

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) — April 5, 2008 @ 10:22 AM

The raspberries are so real on the photo and I bet their tartness really worked well with the sweetness of the brownies.

HoneyB — April 5, 2008 @ 11:07 AM

Lori, you consistently make me DROOL. I love looking at your blog and getting ideas for my weekend cooking adventures at CFY & EFY. I know you have already been awarded with the E award, but I am giving it to you again! You definitely deserve it!

LyB — April 5, 2008 @ 11:54 AM

I almost made these yesterday! I had such a chocolate craving, it must be something in the air! :)
    They look incredible! Raspberries on top is a genius idea, smart kid!

RecipeGirl — April 5, 2008 @ 1:42 PM

Sticky- Everything you make is pretty :)

Em- Not much housework yet for a 6 year old but I’ll keep that in mind!

NP- Yeah, I love that drippy chocolate look!

Tarah- Thanks :)

Chuck- You need to make more sweets!

Foodie- I think the cookbook is worth investing in. I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve made from her.

Grace- Yes, the cocoa counts as the fifth chocolate. I should have mentioned that.

Nina- We love this combo.

Honey- You are so so sweet! Thanks for the compliment :)

Lyb- Thank you, and yes, he’s pretty much a genius. I joked w/ him that maybe he should consider food photog. as a career someday.

Maryann — April 5, 2008 @ 2:40 PM

ooooooooooo!
    They are gorgeous!!

Jessy and her dog Winnie — April 5, 2008 @ 4:00 PM

Yum! Chocolaty goodness!

Nick — April 5, 2008 @ 4:17 PM

Oh my gosh, RecipeGirl, you’ve outdone yourself here. Those raspberries look so good on top, they almost look fake. I want some right now, but I haven’t even had my morning pancakes yet! I’m gonna put some chocolate in them now…Glad I found these =)

- The Peanut Butter Boy

Peter M — April 5, 2008 @ 5:34 PM

I’m starting to see Brownies being in done in other countries and you know why? They taste THAT good!

Proud Italian Cook — April 5, 2008 @ 6:41 PM

One word…DECEDENT!!! and the rasberry picture is gorgeous!

Josie — April 5, 2008 @ 6:57 PM

Have you contemplated a career in food photography?! I don’t even like raspberries and chocolate together, but that picture looks amazingly delicious!

Chef Erik — April 5, 2008 @ 7:55 PM

Looks soooo good! I can’t get enough brownies in my life, your recipe looks delish :) Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

marye — April 5, 2008 @ 7:56 PM

Yikes! CHocolate heaven! and raspberries too?
    Well done..sounds great.

Gretchen Noelle — April 5, 2008 @ 8:01 PM

These do look so good, I really am going to have to try them some time!

Elle — April 5, 2008 @ 8:59 PM

White chocolate ganache? I don’t even care much for white chocolate but that has given me such a craving for these! They look fab-u-lous.

Kevin — April 5, 2008 @ 9:27 PM

Those look so great!! It is hard to believe that they got 4 kinds of chocolate in there. The raspberries on top look good!

eliza — April 5, 2008 @ 9:36 PM

i agree, that’s one sinful brownies :) what a coincidence that we both tried Dorie’s recipes this weekend :)

RecipeGirl — April 5, 2008 @ 10:05 PM

MaryAnn- Thanks!

Jessy- Thanks for stopping by :)

Nick- Yeah, I got some pretty nice looking raspberries at Costco. They do look a bit fake, huh?

Peter- I’ll have to check out other country’s versions of brownies.

Italian- thank you :_

Josie- that sounds like a fun career. I wouldn’t even know where to start, but it’s a nice compliment!

Erik/Marye/Gretchen- Thanks :)

Elle- I don’t care for white choc. much either, but in these it’s fab.

Kevin- Yep, they’re pretty chocolatey.

Eliza- We must like Dorie :)

Karen — April 5, 2008 @ 10:32 PM

Those brownies look fabulous! And the addition of the raspberries, genius! Looks like you have a little foodie on your hands.

Isa — April 6, 2008 @ 1:59 AM

oh, my god I would kill for those brownies! I can’t wait for the book to arrive (I recently ordered from Amazon)… And what a smart child the one of yours! Brownies and raspberries? Mmmm!
    *Hey thanks for the comments on my blog. You’re really sweet :D

aforkfulofspaghetti — April 6, 2008 @ 7:19 AM

Quintuple chocolate brownies? Now we’re really talking! Personally, I think your son knows where it’s at. A career in food lies ahead?

Pixie — April 6, 2008 @ 8:02 AM

I seriously need to get my hand on that book. Love the addition of the raspberries.

Helen — April 6, 2008 @ 9:33 AM

Wow those look amazing! I love it when the texture is fudgy.

CookiePie — April 6, 2008 @ 2:54 PM

OK, it’s official, I’m going to buy Dorie’s book right now — these brownies put me over the edge!

Clearly, RG, you have taught your son well!

Rosie — April 6, 2008 @ 6:03 PM

Decedent divineness brownies recipegirl!! Now how can I reach into my screen and pick one of those brownies up erm……

Rosie x

White On Rice Couple — April 6, 2008 @ 6:51 PM

I love brownies that are more on the fudgey side! Especially when they’re topped with fresh raspberries!
    Two big slices over here, please!

Anonymous — April 6, 2008 @ 9:07 PM

That shouldn’t even be allowed on the internet — just mean for all those salivating.

Really my carrot sticks are just not cutting it.

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide — April 6, 2008 @ 10:54 PM

Just to let you know I made these today. They are in the fridge now waiting for the glaze to set up. I am going to post these on my site also w/a reference to you and also Dorie….if you have a problem w/that please let me know and I will gladly take it down. Thanks for sharing this. I can’t wait to cut into them.

Flanboyant Eats — April 7, 2008 @ 1:36 AM

i think i’m going to make this for a party i’m catering this weekend! i’ll let you know if i do!!

they look soooo good :)

Psychgrad — April 7, 2008 @ 1:57 AM

Looks beautiful. No nuts work for me – I’m not a nut person myself. I bet your son was thinking about these brownies all day. I just got Dorie’s book. It’s massive. There are enough recipes in there to bake for the next 10 years.

Tartelette — April 7, 2008 @ 3:50 AM

Ah that last picture did me in!! Awesome!!

Mary Coleman — April 8, 2008 @ 12:32 PM

Who knew, a child that asks for fruit on a brownie!! Unbelievable!
    this does look so good.
    Bookmarked immediately.

Cate — April 8, 2008 @ 1:17 PM

That was the first Dorie recipe I ever made – delicious stuff.

Tracy — April 8, 2008 @ 1:26 PM

Insanely chocolate? Oh yeah, that has my name written all over it. Yum.

Patsyk — April 8, 2008 @ 4:30 PM

Those look so completely sinful, but I bet they are worth every calorie… gonna have to hit the treadmill just from looking at them! Just love Dorie!

Robin — April 11, 2008 @ 9:18 AM

Wow…those do look insane! I’ve gotta try these!

Mara — May 22, 2008 @ 4:58 PM

the raspberries are a FAB addition…i just made these for the Tuesdays With Dorie week and i used raspberries for some photos as well and YES they work so well. LOVELY!

Paula B. — February 23, 2013 @ 7:41 AM

I must have been reading some more recent posts on your blog and happened upon this recipe – just had to go and make the brownies right away. Oh, my! I only baked twenty five minutes and they are perfect; Also, I was without the unsweetened chocolate so I had to do the cocoa/oil sub for that. Will be making these again this week and will have to compare the taste difference between the two.