Dark Chocolate Crackles

For many, if there will be dessert… it must be chocolate. My family covets chocolate. I’m more of a vanilla gal. Don’t hold it against me, but given a choice- I would take vanilla over chocolate any day. I enjoy chocolate only when it’s really, really fantastically good. Only when it’s something that is completely worth the calories that will be consumed. I’m a bit manic when I’ve had too much chocolate too as I can’t quite manage my caffeine. One too many bites and I’m off to the land of migraines and darkened rooms. That said, I like to make chocolate treats that I can send off for others to enjoy. This day: Dark Chocolate Crackles.

This recipe makes a good amount (5 dozen) so it was perfect to send off with the boys on a YMCA Indian Guide camping trip. If you’re not familiar with Indian Guides, it’s a father-son group that is designed to harbor close relationships between the two. They do a lot of boy-type activities together and head out on weekend camping trips once a month with the rest of their “tribe.” It’s great fun for them, and a quiet, relaxing weekend for me! It also gives me a chance to bake away… and send off goodies that are much-appreciated by the hungry group of men.

A recipe from Fine Cooking, these very chocolatey cookies are filled with three kinds of chocolate and a smidgen of orange zest to set them apart from the rest. You’ll need a tall glass of milk to wash it all down. If this doesn’t send the already energy-filled boys into a caffeine frenzy then I don’t know what will. I’m sure the dads will appreciate me for this one.

A little peek inside shows you that you will indeed get a chocolatey chunk or two inside each cookie.

Chocolate lovers… you’ll like this one. Me…? I had my cookie, enjoyed it and will move on to decaffeinated pleasures for the remainder of the day.

This recipe can be found here:  Dark Chocolate Crackles

43 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Crackles”

Catherine Wilkinson — April 10, 2008 @ 4:59 PM

Oh, you have definitely found the way into my heart with these gems! This is a must bake! Thanks for posting…the pics are lovely!

CookiePie — April 10, 2008 @ 7:14 PM

These look fantastic! That little bit of gooey chocolate in the middle put me right over the edge. And I love the photos!

Lori Lynn — April 10, 2008 @ 7:39 PM

They look great! I love the little peek into the cookie…

Melanie — April 10, 2008 @ 8:06 PM

I wish I had your fondness for vanilla instead of chocolate. It is my downfall…especially dark chocolate, so you can imagine my joy at seeing this recipe. Bookmarking as we speak!

Deborah — April 10, 2008 @ 8:20 PM

These do look like a chocolate dream!! If I had to decide between chocolate and vanilla, I don’t think I could ever decide. It totally depends on my mood. I just hope no one ever makes me choose!! :)

Karen — April 10, 2008 @ 8:44 PM

I’m more of a vanilla girl too, but those chocolate cookies look great! I’m sure I’d eat more than one before packing them up for the boys!

noble pig — April 10, 2008 @ 10:34 PM

OMG the cookie looks so thick and yummy and chocolate galore. I need a new chocolate cookie recipe and I’m going to overdose on this one. Thanks for sharing.

Jenny — April 10, 2008 @ 10:37 PM

What fun little cookies those are. Dark Chocolate is my weakness for sure. I’ll have to try them soon!

PheMom — April 11, 2008 @ 12:11 AM

I’m with Jenny. Its all about dark chocolate for me. These cookies look wonderful (and we all know I’m a chocoholic) but I love vanilla too. Just all around yum!!

Gretchen Noelle — April 11, 2008 @ 12:49 AM

These look great. I could eat one or sixteen right now. I am just too tired to make them. Will you share?

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) — April 11, 2008 @ 1:04 AM

My husband made these (I think the recipe was from Dorie Greenspan) a few months ago — they were so good that we ate almost the entire batch ourselves. I haven’t let him make them since then!

Kevin — April 11, 2008 @ 1:07 AM

Pass some of those over here. They look chocolaty and good!

Peter M — April 11, 2008 @ 1:08 AM

Lori, you what the boys are gonna do with these cookies in camp? There are going to use them as chips in poker games!

ali — April 11, 2008 @ 1:56 AM

RecipeGirl, I used to be more of vanilla girl, but I’ve made the switch, and there’s no turning back. rarely a day passes without a nibble of chocolate. these crackles look great!

ali

ChichaJo — April 11, 2008 @ 2:43 AM

Whoa! I am a chocolate girl myself so you can just imagine how GOOD these cookies look to me :)

Egghead — April 11, 2008 @ 2:51 AM

These look so yummy. I will make them with my 8 year old granddaughter this weekend. Your site is killing my diet.

Lina — April 11, 2008 @ 2:53 AM

Hello! I am so happy I discovered your blog!!!! You are amazing and your website will be a regular of mine from now on.

Tartelette — April 11, 2008 @ 2:56 AM

They look perfect and exactly what I am missiong now with my cup of tea!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide — April 11, 2008 @ 4:00 AM

These do look amazing and I still must make them…..my husband can take them into work….better his employees get fat rather than me hehehehehehe *evil laugh*

Emiline — April 11, 2008 @ 5:43 AM

These look fab! I used a recipe a few months ago for a cookie like this, and had terrible results. I’ll use this recipe next time.

I’m sorry you get migraines from the chocolate. I’m weird. I take in quite a bit of caffeine and it doesn’t seem to effect me. Well, if I DON’T have caffeine, then I’ll get a headache.

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — April 11, 2008 @ 5:52 AM

I find that I’m a lot more discriminating about my chocolate as I get older. I don’t want to waste the calories unless it is really special. I think these cookies fit the bill. They look great!

KJ — April 11, 2008 @ 9:27 AM

When I saw the title of your post I was expecting something totally different. In Australia chocolate crackles are made with rice bubbles and copha. These look much yummier. Absolutely delicious in fact.

VeggieGirl — April 11, 2008 @ 11:34 AM

I’m definitely a carob girl, those crackles look phenomenal!! especially the gooey/fudgy innards :0)

Helene — April 11, 2008 @ 4:41 PM

I will take chocolate over anything. This cookie has probably a different taste with the addition of orange zest. They look good.

Elle — April 11, 2008 @ 5:09 PM

I’ll be dreaming of chocolate cookies later. mmmm!

Celine — April 11, 2008 @ 5:26 PM

these cookies look amazing!

Mike of Mike's Table — April 11, 2008 @ 7:30 PM

Those look delicious and I really like the photos you got of them! And now in my mid-lunch/dinner lull, you’ve got my stomach rumbling…

Susan from Food Blogga — April 11, 2008 @ 11:20 PM

I’ve never made crackles, but I have made crinkles (the ones with the sugar in the “cracks” or “crinks” or whatever you call them. Yours look great and would be a perfect snack with some cold milk.

Isa — April 12, 2008 @ 1:39 AM

Ohh, you got me drooling! The cookeis look fabolous. Thanks for sharing and lovely pics!

Julie — April 12, 2008 @ 1:55 AM

While I love vanilla, at heart I’m a chocolate girl, and these look like a perfect chocolate fix.

cook eat FRET — April 12, 2008 @ 2:27 AM

oh my
    this is a MUST
    great recipe
    bookmarked…

Laura — April 12, 2008 @ 4:36 AM

Oooh these look fantastic. I adore vanilla but think I might be actually addicted to chocolate. When I was in Thailand I carried little Hershey’s nuggets with me everywhere. Vanilla is a flavor–chocolate is a food. :)

Grace — April 12, 2008 @ 10:30 AM

fortunately, i don’t think it’s possible for me to have too much chocolate. it hasn’t happened yet, and let me tell you, it’s been put to the test. it seems i have no self-control when chocolate is involved. :)

HoneyB — April 12, 2008 @ 12:36 PM

Wow, what happens when you don’t have time to surf? YOU MISS THINGS! Some great looking food…I need to play some catch up! These chocolate cookies look especially yummy & gooey.

Chuck — April 12, 2008 @ 3:21 PM

Lori,

These cookies look delicious, for me anything with chocolate has to be good. I do know what you mean about vanilla … I could bath in the stuff it smells so good :)

Lore — April 12, 2008 @ 4:42 PM

That peak inside the cake really convinced me and my husband likes dark chocolate so will make these soon! Thanks for sharing!

Cakespy — April 12, 2008 @ 5:25 PM

Dark chocolate crackles? Accent on the CRACK–these look exceedingly addictive!!

Patsyk — April 12, 2008 @ 8:36 PM

I can’t resist a chocolatey cookie! I’ve made the crackle type cookies before, but these may have to make an appearance on my next cookie tray. Yum!

Kristen — April 13, 2008 @ 1:08 AM

Those look so tasty!

Sophie — April 13, 2008 @ 4:29 AM

Thanks for the sweet comment :). You know, from one “light baker” to another :D, sometimes I substitute 1/2 cup of butter for 1/8-1/4 tbsp applesauce when I make cookies. It works like a charm, one tricky thing I’ve learned about applesauce is that it tends to make cookies extra soft and biscuit-like if too much is used…I’ve learned! Hehe. Just thought I’d pass this little tip along; still trying to figure out the “light” cooking, but if you have any other tips, I’d love to hear about ‘em! :)

Rosie — April 14, 2008 @ 3:15 PM

This is definitely a recipe for me with chocolate *giggle* This is a must bake, thanks for sharing :)

Rosie x

Maria — April 14, 2008 @ 8:11 PM

Oh I love these gorgeous mounds of chocolate! They remind of the chocodoodles I make.

Maria
    x

Candy — March 23, 2009 @ 10:25 AM

Yummy. A dark chocolate cookie. I’d be afraid of making these and devouring them all myself. Oh well, still gonna make them. Thanks for the recipe!