A Tried and True Favorite: Avocado- Pine Nut Salad

I’ve been making this Avocado- Pine Nut Salad for YEARS. First discovered at my sister’s house eons ago while plowing through her loads of cookbooks, this has since become a classic family favorite. Need a great salad for a potluck? This is it. Need a salad that most people will eat? This is it. Need a new side salad for dinner because you’re tired of the same old thing? This is it. Want to impress your guests? Can’t help you there, but this salad will help.

It’s simple, and it’s darn good. Many in my extended family and network of friends have now incorporated this salad into their meal rotations. It’s that good! When I helped to publish the San Diego Junior League cookbook, California Sol Food, a few years ago- I submitted this recipe for review. We published it as “Summer Salad,” and added grilled chicken to the ingredients to make it a main dish salad- it’s wonderful that way too.

Pine nuts in anything are ok by me. And toasted… well, if they can make it to the dish before being completely devoured then that’s just a miracle. I love toasted pine nuts in a salad. Add some vine-ripened tomatoes, Haas avocados, a sprinkle of mozzarella, and a tangy white-wine vinaigrette and you have this salad.

This recipe can be found here:  Avocado Pine Nut Salad Recipe

41 Responses to “A Tried and True Favorite: Avocado- Pine Nut Salad”

noble pig — April 13, 2008 @ 2:43 PM

Wow this does look good and is very California with the avocados and all.

The pine nuts, to die for.

Josie — April 13, 2008 @ 2:52 PM

Gorgeous pictures as usual!! I love avocado- and I have a couple sitting around waiting to be used. This could make an awesome lunch this week at work :)
    Thanks!

Peter M — April 13, 2008 @ 3:15 PM

Isn’t it wonderful that avocado is now promoted as heart-healthy?

This salad excites the eye and a great side to a fish or meat main.

Elle — April 13, 2008 @ 3:40 PM

I love this! I’m putting it on my short “to try” list, and I love the idea if adding grilled chicken, too.

Lina — April 13, 2008 @ 3:49 PM

I’m going to make this one for sure! I love your website recipegirl.com! It even has all the nutrition facts. Amazing!

Pixie — April 13, 2008 @ 4:05 PM

I can never get enough of salad and with the weather warming up (again) I hope to make plenty within the next couple of weeks.

Cookie baker Lynn — April 13, 2008 @ 4:58 PM

Wow, this looks fabulous. I love avacados; toss in pine nuts and I’m in salad heaven!

Pam — April 13, 2008 @ 7:29 PM

I have been on an avocado kick lately, and I am sooo making this!

Melanie — April 13, 2008 @ 8:19 PM

This salad looks just my style! Yum! I’ve never thought to combine avocados and pine nuts, but I can’t wait to try!

Jenny — April 13, 2008 @ 9:44 PM

Beautiful classic salad, it looks gorgeous too! The avocado is calling my name!

cook eat FRET — April 13, 2008 @ 10:40 PM

and just what is not to like about everything on that plate? nice combo. perfectly balanced. i’ll keep it in mind…

C.L. — April 14, 2008 @ 12:06 AM

I am so glad you found me cuz you have awesome recipes! I will definately be back!

White On Rice Couple — April 14, 2008 @ 12:21 AM

In college, we used to go on field trips to the pinyon pine forests to do our botany research. We would find the fallen pine cones and collect the raw pine nuts and eat them on the spot. I got so sick one time from eating raw nuts, that it still haunts me till this day.
    But Todd loves pine nuts, so we’ll be making two version of this beautiful salad. One full of pine nuts for him and one with extra avocado for me! :)

Psychgrad — April 14, 2008 @ 1:48 AM

Yay! A reliable and beautiful looking salad to add to my repetoire. Thank you for the great submission to Tried, Tested and True!

Leah — April 14, 2008 @ 1:59 AM

How funny, I was on the Jr League cookbook committee here in Milwaukee five years ago! I worked on the appetizer chapter, and we tested TONS of recipes! It was so fun, but that cookbook sent me in to volunteer burnout and I dropped out of the League the following year! In retrospect, it was a great experience and I made a lot of friends on the committee. And like you, I turn to our cookbook all the time, cause the recipes are AWESOME!

I’ll try your avocado salad, as soon as avocados drop below 2.50 a piece here in Milwaukee. ;-) Leah

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide — April 14, 2008 @ 2:07 AM

I sooooo love avacados!

mimi — April 14, 2008 @ 3:20 AM

this looks delish! i’m always wanting to try a new salad for our summer parties, i’m definitely putting this on the list!

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) — April 14, 2008 @ 6:56 AM

After all the meat we had this weekend, I think I just found an idea for tonight’s supper.

Thanks for sharing.

Grace — April 14, 2008 @ 9:51 AM

if it’s got pine nuts (toasted, mind you) in it, it must be good.
    if it’s got avocados in it, it must be amazing.
    i have a feeling this will become a family favorite for me, too. :)

VeggieGirl — April 14, 2008 @ 11:03 AM

Avocados & pine-nuts??? PERFECT combination!! That salad is wonderful for a potluck, indeed; or anytime!! :0)

Maryann — April 14, 2008 @ 12:39 PM

Whenever I see avocado, I think of Cali. Nice salad :)

Rosie — April 14, 2008 @ 3:23 PM

Oh this dish looks SO good!! The pics say it all – delicious and with the weather hopefully getting warmer here this would be lovely :D

Rosie x

Nicole — April 14, 2008 @ 3:33 PM

What is not to love here? Avocados just make everything so delicious!

Camilla V. Saulsbury — April 14, 2008 @ 3:54 PM

I could eat my weight in avocados if left unchecked, but I would be even happier doing so if they were in this salad–looks delectable and gorgeous!!!

taste memory — April 14, 2008 @ 5:10 PM

gorgeous – love avocados in salad….in anything; well not with everything! But do love them as I’m a calif girl and used to pick them off my parent’s avocado trees when growing up in SoCal.

thanks for the fresh recipe!

Emiline — April 14, 2008 @ 6:11 PM

Mmm, I love salads. They’re so healthy, and they fill you up too.

Oh, and I LOVE avocados and pinenuts. Toasted pinenuts, of course.

Cakespy — April 14, 2008 @ 6:36 PM

This one looks like a great go-to recipe. I love avocado so much, I couldn’t imagine NOT loving this!

Maria — April 14, 2008 @ 8:12 PM

I love salads, especially in the summer and this one looks like a winner!

Maria
    x

Chef Erik — April 15, 2008 @ 12:28 AM

Way to stand out! You have a great eclectic side, I would love this. Not in a gazillion years would I have thought to put pine nuts and avacado together. My first chef didn’t like when I would cook outside the box. He would have gave you the evil eye for sure. Nice job!

Kevin — April 15, 2008 @ 2:33 AM

That salad looks really good. I like the sound of using avocados in salad. I don’t use avocados nearly enough. Bookmarked to try.

chou — April 15, 2008 @ 3:47 AM

I’ve heard rumor that if one stick’s pine nuts on any salad the masses will come running. Yours must bring in a veritable stampede.

Flanboyant Eats — April 15, 2008 @ 4:27 AM

I’m all over this! I’m cooking dinner for some friends on Thursday–this will be the perfect salad to accompany the oxtail! :)

Thanks for it!

KayKat — April 15, 2008 @ 9:39 AM

Yum! This sounds *so* good! I’m often surrounded by not-hot-on-avocado-folks, might just make myself a giant bowl of this :)

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter — April 15, 2008 @ 12:06 PM

hi recipe girl
    loved your avocado pine nut salad and dark chocolate crackles..a good post, detailed and good illustration..very well done !

Nicole — April 15, 2008 @ 4:17 PM

What a great, simple salad! I love adding toasted pine nuts to green salads! My dinner the other night was a huge bowl of greens topped with crumbled goat cheese, crumbled bacon, toasted pine nuts and a quick homemade raspberry vinaigrette. My favorite part? The pine nuts :-)

Sophie — April 16, 2008 @ 1:28 AM

That’s a beautiful salad :), all those colors make it so healthy! I loove avocado…yum, I’m craving some right now – sprinkled with salt, it’s perfect :)!

Egghead — April 16, 2008 @ 5:10 AM

Yum. I will try this out for my family soon. I love pine nuts in just about anything and oh, avocados….to die for.

Ann — April 16, 2008 @ 12:27 PM

Beautiful salad! And with pine nuts and avocado you just can’t go wrong!

Deborah — April 16, 2008 @ 9:13 PM

Oooh! I have to make a salad for a family get-together this weekend. I am so making this salad!

The Short (dis)Order Cook — April 17, 2008 @ 1:54 PM

Ooh. I love this. Avocados and pine nuts are two of my favorite ingredients.

Avocado Pine Nut Salad Recipe | recipegirl.com — April 7, 2010 @ 6:19 AM

[...] Avocado- Pine Nut Salad This has been my family’s favorite salad recipe for years and years. Every family gathering we have, this salad makes an appearance! This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl blog: A Tried and True Favorite. [...]