Ina Garten’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Barbara from Winos and Foodies is hosting the Taste of Yellow Event this year for LiveSTRONG Day. Last year 149 food bloggers participated in this event, and I’m guessing that number will grow exponentially this year as I visit blogs each day that are supporting this event with their yellow food posts.

This event is a one-day initiative to raise awareness and funds for the cancer fight. Unfortunately our family has had its share of cancer. My father succombed to the disease several years ago, and it has taken my grandma and uncle and several friends as well. We have numerous friends and family members who have fought cancer and continue to LiveSTRONG, and we are thankful for that. Thank you to Barbara for hosting this event.

My entry for this event is Ina Garten’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies. My son had great fun pulling all of the yellow M&M’s out of the giant bag that I bought. It turns out that yellow isn’t the most abundant color in an M&M bag. We ended up with only about 1/2 cup of the yellow guys. As a result, I chose to experiment a little with this recipe.

Ina suggests using high quality semi-sweet chocolate. I used Bakers (just a so-so brand), yellow M&M’s and an exotic candy bar that I received in a swap with my Ohio food blogger friend Josie of 1 Kitchen, 2 Dogs and a Girl (thanks Josie!) The exotic bar contained chilies and cinnamon, and I thought that might be an interesting addition to the peanut butter.

I split the cookie batter into three parts and added each experimental element to the mix.

No one else was around, so I had to taste a bit of each (with a dunker of milk, of course.)

The result: The peanut butter cookie itself had a bit of crunch to it. The addition of M&M’s is a no-brainer… M&M cookies always rock. The Baker’s semi-sweet chocolate… I wish I had bought a higher quality chocolate. They were good, but not excellent. The exotic candy bar… it was an interesting addition with the cinnamon and a very slight flavor of heat with the chilies. I might prefer those flavors in a regular choc. chip cookie. I liked the M&M cookies best.

Dorie Greenspan has a recipe for Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies that I highlighted in my post on Best Cookies of 2007. Dorie’s cookies are superior to Ina’s in my amateur cookie baking opinion. In Dorie’s recipe, she uses cinnamon/nutmeg and bittersweet chocolate, which I prefer. Dorie pretty much has the food blogger world singing her praises with her great baking recipes. I don’t wish to give Ina too much flack though because her cookies might be much, much better if you use a good quality chocolate (and peanut butter too!)

Ina’s recipe for Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies can be found HERE.

Dorie’s recipe for Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies can be found HERE.

33 Responses to “Ina Garten’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies”

Pixie — April 18, 2008 @ 4:44 PM

Great entry for the event and I certainly can never get enough of anything with peanut butter in it.

Emiline — April 18, 2008 @ 6:43 PM

Oh, how I love cookies. All three look delicious. I like the yellow M&M’s.

Ina is always using “good quality” this and “good quality” that. Come on Ina, not all of us have homes in the Hamptons and Paris. She also uses extra large eggs. What’s up with that?

RecipeGirl — April 18, 2008 @ 6:50 PM

Pixie- thanks.

Emiline- Oh my gosh… i completely agree. The “good quality” references are starting to bug me. And the extra large eggs… I’m not quite sure why she developed all of her recipes with XL eggs but it’s just plain weird.

dobetter — April 18, 2008 @ 8:38 PM

Those cookies look so fun and cheery! Perfect for the livestrong event!

Brilynn — April 18, 2008 @ 10:57 PM

Love the yellow m&ms, those look great!

LyB — April 19, 2008 @ 12:42 AM

My kids would so love the M&M ones, and so would I! As for the XL eggs, perhaps Ina shops at Costco… ;)

Patsyk — April 19, 2008 @ 12:59 AM

I love peanut butter cookies! I’ll have to give these a try. I was wondering how you found yellow m&m’s.

bakingblonde — April 19, 2008 @ 1:22 AM

There is nothing better in life than peanut butter and chocolate. I love your experiment with add-ins. I agree M&Ms and cookies are a no-brainer!!

Chuck — April 19, 2008 @ 1:39 AM

Lori, give me a tall cold glass of milk and a plate of those delicious looking cookies and I’ll be one happy camper.

What a great event I wish I had seen it earlier I would have participated. How do you hear about these events Lori?

Maryann — April 19, 2008 @ 2:25 AM

Me too! Love peanut butter ;)

Jenny — April 19, 2008 @ 3:58 AM

Cute cookies! Is there anything better than a good peanut butter cookie? I’ve actually got a batch in the oven right now! We’ve got the same brain waves going on!

Lina — April 19, 2008 @ 4:47 AM

So cute! I’m planning on contributing to this event too. I just cant think of anything yellow to cook!

Cate — April 19, 2008 @ 4:48 AM

OK now I’m craving peanut butter cookies … tomorrow it is!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide — April 19, 2008 @ 4:48 AM

Did you know that exotic candy bar made by Vosges….they due a chocolate bacon bar. I have seen it in the store and have been half tempted to buy it. CRAZY chocolate bacon????

ali — April 19, 2008 @ 4:49 AM

RecipeGirl, I love that your son picked out all of the yellow m&ms. so cute. thanks for letting us know about this event.

I may have to try Dorie’s recipe this weekend. peanut butter-oatmeal sounds amazing!

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — April 19, 2008 @ 7:14 AM

As Ina would say, “Who wouldn’t love these?”. I love the yellow m&m’s. Very cute idea!

I read your comment on my LiveStrong post. For both our sakes, I wish this was one thing we didn’t have in common.

Grace — April 19, 2008 @ 7:58 AM

the cinnamon and chile chocolate bar sounds right up my alley. there’s no way it would’ve survived long enough to go into cookies in my house. :)

Lore — April 19, 2008 @ 11:50 AM

You’ve got some great looking cookies there!

Maria — April 19, 2008 @ 12:40 PM

Wow these look absolutely delish and I adore the yellow M&M’s ;o)

Maria
    x

VeggieGirl — April 19, 2008 @ 1:17 PM

crunchy PB-Chocolate Chunk cookies – can it get any better?? Why, apparently it can – your yellow M&M “add-in” is brilliant!! What a fun entry for the event!!

Rosie — April 19, 2008 @ 2:52 PM

Oh these are great cookies and look so much fun :) What a splendid entry!

Rosie x

noble pig — April 19, 2008 @ 3:13 PM

It’s not often a cookie can get me to smile without tasting it…the yellow M&M’s did. Those are so darn cute. They look beautiful on the platter too.

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter — April 19, 2008 @ 8:51 PM

I think is is good entry, especially when it for a cause. well done recipe girl for this entry of Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Kevin — April 19, 2008 @ 9:32 PM

Those yellow m&m cookies look good. I really like the sound of using chili chocolate in chocolate chunk cookies!

Cookie baker Lynn — April 20, 2008 @ 3:03 AM

Your cookies are delightful. I can imagine the fun of sorting through the m&m’s looking for the yellow ones. Great choice for the LiveStrong event!

Elle — April 20, 2008 @ 12:57 PM

Ooooh, cookies! Those look so delicious! I’ll have one of each, please. :)

White On Rice Couple — April 20, 2008 @ 9:46 PM

These cookies make me smile so big, I don’t know why, but they just look so cute and make me so happy! Maybe it’s the M&M’s and the peanut butter, two things I adore! I like to scoop out a spoon of peanut butter and put m&m’s on them as a treat!
    Great entry!1

Josie — April 20, 2008 @ 10:22 PM

I never would have thought to put that chocolate bar in this recipe!! You are very creative :) I bet it would be better in a chocolate-on-chocolate cookie like whatever that one you made recently was called… (brain cramp). Next time you need a cookie taster, just let me know :)

Mike of Mike's Table — April 21, 2008 @ 2:18 AM

These look great and talk about a fun experiment–taste-testing and comparing cookies! Sign me up–especially for peanut butter cookies!

Barbara — April 21, 2008 @ 5:38 AM

Fabulous cookies and I love the yellow M&M’s. Thanks for supporting LiveSTRONG With A Taste Of Yellow.

Deborah — April 21, 2008 @ 9:50 PM

They all sound great to me! Great entry!

Elinluv — April 23, 2008 @ 7:45 AM

hmm…I like the one with M&M’s. Will try this one out. Great blog and thanks for the recipe :)

Bron — May 14, 2008 @ 12:09 AM

What a super cool take on “A taste of yellow” !! Awesome!