Ina Garten’s Chicken Chili

I wish the weather would make up its mind around here. It’s 94 degrees one day, and then we’re snuggled up in blankets watching little league games the next. I have to admit that it’s nice to have the variety. Some stretches have us waking up to sunny days, blue sky and no humidity for weeks on end. Torture, huh?

Yesterday was one of those chilly little league days. And on chilly days I like to make chili (really, there’s no pun intended there!) Ina Garten was my choice with her recipe for Chicken Chili.

I made a chicken chili once before. It was one of those white versions of chili. Didn’t like it. I had actually entered it into our community’s annual chili contest without even trying it first. I guess I figured that because it was in a cookbook that it would be great. It wasn’t. The painful loss was overcome with my 2nd place win in the pie contest though.

A non-traditional chili, it has tons of yellow and red bell peppers as well as fresh basil. It’s spiced up lightly with chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes and cayenne. Add more for heat.

Served up family-style with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream and Tostitos Scoop chips, this was another great Ina recipe. And my son was duped into eating the veggies within by the fun of scooping up the chili with the scoop chips.

Nice chili for a chilly day :)

This recipe can be found HERE.

27 Responses to “Ina Garten’s Chicken Chili”

Jenny — April 20, 2008 @ 2:15 PM

Another great Ina recipe. I was just in the mood for a good chili. Now I’ll have to make my chili before it gets so darn hot here! Your pics are making me so hungry!

Amy — April 20, 2008 @ 2:52 PM

Yum, another Ina hit! I make this recipe as well in the winter…it’s delicious! Sometimes I add black beans for additional color and nutrition.

Lina — April 20, 2008 @ 3:19 PM

hahah yes, chili on a chili day is the best. This recipe looks divine! Whats up with the weather? Its hot one day and cold the next!

Dana — April 20, 2008 @ 3:46 PM

what a great site! so happy i found you and you are another San Diegan! Keep up the great site.

Emiline — April 20, 2008 @ 6:52 PM

I love all these Ina recipes! This looks great…
    I think I prefer chicken chili over regular chili. Actually I KNOW I prefer it. I like white chili, too.

PheMom — April 20, 2008 @ 7:29 PM

That sounds and looks really good! I actually have a white chicken chili that is really pretty good. I’ll have to make it soon.

Melanie — April 20, 2008 @ 7:46 PM

I have this very same recipe and I love it! I haven’t made it in a long while so I loved seeing your post as a reminder to make it while the weather is still cool. I love the peppers in it…yum!

Vicarious Foodie — April 20, 2008 @ 7:57 PM

I’ve actually had this recipe bookmarked for a while now but just haven’t gotten to it yet. Yours looks so good! I love the idea of eating it with the scoops.

Elle — April 20, 2008 @ 8:02 PM

Mmmm, that looks delicious! I love chili! I really have to get around to trying it with chicken.

Peter M — April 20, 2008 @ 8:28 PM

I don’t think I saw Ina make this one…does that mean you get full credit for it? lol

To be tried next fall.

Kevin — April 20, 2008 @ 9:25 PM

That chicken chili looks so tasty!

noble pig — April 20, 2008 @ 9:40 PM

You are on a roll with Ina! Which is fine with me! This looks great I’ve never seen her make this one. We have a chili contest every year and this might be one to give a shot.

Psychgrad — April 20, 2008 @ 9:55 PM

Great colours! Ina is one of my favourites. I’ve never had chicken chili before. Yet another recipe to put on my “to try” list.

Kristen — April 20, 2008 @ 10:24 PM

Oh I am so going to try this! I have white chicken chili recipes, but nothing like this. Thanks for sharing!

Laura — April 21, 2008 @ 2:41 AM

I gotta admit the basil in that recipe always scared me a little. Good to hear that you tried and liked it; maybe we will give it a try.

Cakespy — April 21, 2008 @ 2:49 AM

Oh my, this one looks great! Hearty and warm–just what we need in Seattle, where spring hasn’t caught on yet–still snowing.

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) — April 21, 2008 @ 3:08 AM

I’m sure my children would also love the scooping up thing…and me too. I wonder if it is very hot….

nicole — April 21, 2008 @ 7:00 AM

That chili looks really good. I will have to wait to make it though. It isn’t very cold here.

Grace — April 21, 2008 @ 8:31 AM

i’ve actually come to enjoy chicken chili a little bit more than the beef counterpart. either way though, i’ve gotta throw in some beans. :)

meanwhile, that pie recipe is awesome. i’m glad you linked it!

HoneyB — April 21, 2008 @ 11:34 AM

Looks great! I will use Chili in my haystack recipe too though … and we will eat those in the summertime! I envy your warm weather.

Ann — April 21, 2008 @ 12:15 PM

Your photos almost make me wish for cold weather again… :-)

Rosie — April 21, 2008 @ 1:33 PM

mmmmmm this looks great!! I do like Ina I have been watching her programme on sky T.V. on UKTVFood.

Rosie x

Deborah — April 21, 2008 @ 9:52 PM

I’ve only had the white version of chicken chili before – so I definitely want to try this one out! We still might get snow here, so I might have an excuse to make chili!

Marc @ norecipes — April 22, 2008 @ 1:48 AM

This is one of my favorite chili recipes:-)

Mary Coleman — April 22, 2008 @ 8:34 PM

Beautiful!!I’d turn on the a/c and make this in mid July!

Pixie — April 23, 2008 @ 2:06 PM

Such a wonderful selection of Mexican food! I just realized you’re not coming through on my google reader for some strange reason- sorry it’s been such a while and huge congrats on your recent awards!

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — April 24, 2008 @ 7:15 AM

I love this chili! It is a favorite at our house.