Vegas, Baby! $$$

Last Friday, the husband and I skipped off to Las Vegas for two short nights to meet friends for some fun in the sun and casinos. Hubby met me there via a business trip.

So this is how I began my solo flight…

A beer and a book. (Seriously good book, by the way.) Folks who are headed to Vegas are happy and ready to party. In the airport bar, I was encouraged to take shots of tequila with my extra-tall beer. Even the guys who sat next to me on the plane (who were en route to a bachelor party) tried to order me Jack and coke. I stuck with my beer.

I hadn’t been to Vegas since I was a child. I lived in Nevada for a time and casinos have never been very appealing to me. But I kept hearing about how the casinos are so exotic and cool now, and even more exciting are all of the great chefs who have restaurants in Vegas. I was excited to see what it was all about.

The food was unfortunately a big disappointment. There was no opportunity for us to eat at one of the finer / famous chef restaurants during our short stay. We’ll have to go back for that. This breakfast was the culinary highlight of the trip: French Toast Panini… Italian Ham, Gruyere and Baked Egg pressed between two slices of Brioche french toast. Dipped in maple syrup, this was truly a pleasure to eat.

At the pool we ordered up some drinks. This was my favorite: the Orange- Basil Mojito. A couple of those and many beers later, we napped and visited with our friends poolside. My mind was churning with excitement at re-creating this drink when I returned to San Diego.

We clubbed it on our last night, and then visited the video-poker machines for a little Vegas fun. My husband, playing alongside me often asked me for advice on what cards to hold. At one point, he had a King and a Jack of spades. He asked if he should just keep the King and try for a pair. “Why would you do that?” I said. “If you get another King, you’ll just win back your coin. But if you go for the longshot and keep the Jack and the King, you might just get a royal flush.”

And he did! This is proof of why men should always listen to their wives! Too bad he had only put a dollar in. If he had bet 5 dollars, we would have seen $4,000 on that voucher there. (He wasn’t listening.) I was next to him betting $5 at a time. But he was the lucky one. Like the smart guy that he is, he immediately cashed out and we retired to our suite (up $280.) Not bad, huh?

So what should I do with the cash that he won for me? :)

32 Responses to “Vegas, Baby! $$$”

1. postedMay 3, 2008 1:47 AM
    Jessy and her dog Winnie

Nice!! I wish I could win at the casino!

2. postedMay 3, 2008 2:53 AM
    Patsyk

I’ve never won enough to have to worry about what to do with it… but, since you are Recipe Girl, perhaps increasing that cookbook collection with some new releases would be a good idea? :)

I’m reading that same book right now! I agree, it’s a good read, and lots of good information.

3. postedMay 3, 2008 3:59 AM
    ali

Damn girl, you’re a gamer , too?!

4. postedMay 3, 2008 5:10 AM
    Emiline

Whooo! What should you do with the money? Spend it on another trip to Vegas, baby!

Sounds like a fun time!

5. postedMay 3, 2008 5:15 AM
    Manggy

HOLEE CANNOLEE! That is unbelievably lucky! You are a lucky charm!

Ah, I will be looking forward to when you return so we can hear about the big-name restaurants and of course, ahem, the patisseries :)

6. postedMay 3, 2008 5:25 AM
    My Sweet & Saucy

That orange basil mojito is calling my name!

7. postedMay 3, 2008 5:41 AM
    noble pig

Go to the French Laundry, however you’ll need much more!

Sounds like a great weekend.

8. postedMay 3, 2008 6:48 AM
    Chuck

Lori, way to go 270.00 bucks is great. I think the most I have ever won on those machines is 10.00.

My wife and I are taking off to New Orleans in July. I hear that Harrods has a lobster night on Tuesdays. Afterwards we’ll head to the casino and hopefully, I can win a few bucks too!

9. postedMay 3, 2008 6:57 AM
    Pixie

~Men, just never listen do they? lol

Sounds like great fun and wonderful book recommendation too.

10. postedMay 3, 2008 8:59 AM
    Lore

Sorry you weren’t able to visit some famous chefs restaurants but looks like you had a great time!

11. postedMay 3, 2008 9:25 AM
    Peter M

Lori, congrats on the win…go get another pair of shoes (’cause that’s what women do)..

As for the famous chef’s restaurants…although very nice, you’ll leave hungry and wanting to order a pizza.

12. postedMay 3, 2008 10:52 AM
    Grace

the responsible, party-pooper side of me says “save your money for a rainy day!”
    the more realistic (and well-liked) version says “go out for a fantastic dinner at a pricy restaurant you’ve been dying to try!”

13. postedMay 3, 2008 12:30 PM
    Mary Coleman

Lucky girl!!!
    Although I would consider saving it, I’d head to Williams Sonoma or Chefs Catalog and buy a treat!

14. postedMay 3, 2008 1:37 PM
    VeggieGirl

Vegas is always a fun time – I go about every 2 years, and started going when I was just 6 years old (that was 14 years ago, haha).

Wow!! That’s AWESOME that your husband won!! I think that he should buy you some snazzy baking equipment, and lots of cookbooks ;0)

15. postedMay 3, 2008 2:18 PM
    Lina

I love vegas. Its so close from socal that I visit at least 2x a year. You should buy 300 mojitos with the money your hubby won for you!,,, wait, maybe not such a good idea…

16. postedMay 3, 2008 5:25 PM
    Leah

If I had 280.00 hanging around I’d make a mad dash to the shoe department at Nordstom! πŸ˜‰

17. postedMay 3, 2008 5:27 PM
    Leah

I mean, NordSTROM. I hate spelling errors so just had to correct myself.

18. postedMay 3, 2008 6:38 PM
    CookiePie

Congrats!! I say, since you didn’t get to have a fabulous dinner in Vegas, get your hubby to take you to one with the winnings!

19. postedMay 3, 2008 6:57 PM
    Lori Lynn

Very cute post! haha

Sorry to hear you did not get to some of Vegas’ top restaurants. I love Mon Ami Gabi at Paris. It’s a French Bistro, charming, al fresco is great if it’s not too hot outside, and not too expensive either.
    Congrats on the $$.

20. postedMay 3, 2008 8:06 PM
    Flanboyant Eats

You’re the 3rd person in a week I’ve been told is going to Vegas.. hmm… maybe it’s time for me to go.
    Your mojito looks great, though I always wonder how the original Cuban mojito, which I’m particular to, has evolved into all these non-Cuban drinks!! :)

21. postedMay 3, 2008 8:56 PM
    Kevin

Vegas sounds like fun. I would like to go there one of these days.

22. postedMay 3, 2008 9:24 PM
    Daziano

Have a nice weekend you lucky girl πŸ˜‰

23. postedMay 3, 2008 10:31 PM
    adventuresinshaw

I’m with Mary Coleman: hit William-Sonoma and go to town! I’ve been dying to buy the pasta maker attachment for my beloved stand mixer, so that would be my first treat!

24. postedMay 3, 2008 11:17 PM
    Jenny

How fun Lorie! I haven’t been to Vegas in years and it’s not even that far from AZ. I don’t have any desire to gamble but I would love to walk the hotels and indulge in some fine dining. I’ve heard the wait at the nice places are crazy though.

Glad you and hubby had fun! Those guys need to keep listening to us, we do them good! Congrats on the jackpot!

25. postedMay 4, 2008 3:22 AM
    Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide

basil orange mojito sounds great, I really like mojito’s

26. postedMay 4, 2008 12:03 PM
    Tarah

Haha! Score! Very lucky. Very very lucky. What to spend it on, hmm? :]

Glad to see that you had a great weekend.

27. postedMay 4, 2008 1:46 PM
    Bellini Valli

Yes not bad to win in Vegas.A group of my gal friends and I are planning Vegas for our birthday this year:D

28. postedMay 5, 2008 1:03 AM
    LyB

I would definitely get some kitchen gadgets, fun stuff! Your trip sounds like it was fun.

29. postedMay 6, 2008 3:22 AM
    Proud Italian Cook

Congratulations!! good for you!

30. postedMay 6, 2008 1:06 PM
    Mike of Mike's Table

Sounds like a fun trip and congrats on coming out ahead! πŸ˜‰ Also, thanks for the book recommendation–I’ll have to check that out

31. postedMay 6, 2008 5:00 PM
    Helene

Good trip. We’re planning to go in the fall. Hopefully we’ll be able to book at a fancy restaurant advance. I never been to Vegas and can’t wait to go.

32. postedMay 6, 2008 7:37 PM
    Sweet Sins

I love your blog of this trip!! Good thing you where there to guide The Hubby around and have him make the right move!! Woot Woot… I don’t know on the money but I say indulge and get something you usually wouldn’t so it is a special treat!