Get Out Those Muddlers… It’s Mojito Time!

Have you muddled lately? Do you own one of these nifty bar tools?

Mine is used almost exclusively for making my favorite cocktail…Mojitos! Since my Vegas trip, I’ve been dreaming about those Orange- Basil Mojitos that I sipped poolside. So I decided to re-create this drink in the comfort of my own home.

If you’re already familiar with mojitos, you know that they usually incorporate mint and lime juice. For the Orange- Basil Mojitos, I simply subbed basil for mint and fresh orange juice for lime. It worked! The basil flavor worked well with the orange. I know what your thinking… sounds weird, right? It wasn’t weird at all. The basil worked well with the orange and it wasn’t overpowering at all.

Use that muddling tool to smush the heck out of the basil with the orange juice & sugar. (Don’t have a muddler? Not to worry… just use a wooden spoon.) Then you simply add a bit of rum and club soda to finish it off. Top with an orange slice and you’re ready for a toast! We loved this… it tasted just like the Vegas drink.

And just because I like all of you and you leave nice comments on my blog, I’ll share a few more of my favorite tried and true mojito recipes with you… but you have to promise to try one of them. Here you go…

Here’s your basic Mojitos recipe – for the newbies that want to check out this whole mojito thing.

And if you’d like an idea for a perfect summer drink. This is it: The Watermelon Mojito. We served these at a barbecue once and the guests didn’t leave our house into well into the night. I think one of the neighbors ended up sleeping on the couch. But we won’t mention any names.

This pretty drink is a Cranberry Mojito. Not just for fall, it actually turns out more pinkish than red so serve it up any old time. I served this at a Happy Hour party that I had with my girlfriends and it was a huge hit.

These Pomegranate Mojitos are made with POM juice (found near the fresh juices at your market.) Also a great choice.

Did you see one you’d like to make? Scoot along, and muddle away…

All Mojito recipes can be found by just clicking on any of the recipe titles above.

29 Responses to “Get Out Those Muddlers… It’s Mojito Time!”

Marc @ NoRecipes — May 4, 2008 @ 3:53 AM

Yummm! That pomegranate looks delicious!

Pixie — May 4, 2008 @ 5:22 AM

i’m in Mojito Heaven- it’s been quite a long while since I’ve had one- we’re talking years

kate — May 4, 2008 @ 9:21 AM

I have to try the orange basil – it sounds interesting, and maybe make the watermelon one for my sister, she’d drink watermelon anything.

Grace — May 4, 2008 @ 10:19 AM

i don’t have a muddler. i think i’ll go ahead and get a muddler, because even if i never muddle with my muddler, at least i’ll get to say muddler all the time. :)

diva — May 4, 2008 @ 11:35 AM

i dig mojitos ;)
    out of all, your pomegrenate mojito looks the sexiest. awesome. x

Amy — May 4, 2008 @ 1:12 PM

I feel like I hit the jackpot! Mojitos are our favorite drink — I’m so excited to have a few new recipes to try. Definitely going to try the orange-basil and watermelon ones. Thanks! :)

Brilynn — May 4, 2008 @ 1:41 PM

When’s the next party? If you’re serving those, I’ll be there!

noble pig — May 4, 2008 @ 3:05 PM

These sound great!

I think the orange and basil sound like a great combo.

And the watermelon sound equally fantastic. You can guarantee I will be muddling.

jj — May 4, 2008 @ 4:03 PM

Your recreation looks great as do all of these! I’m thirsty now! :)

AnticiPlate — May 4, 2008 @ 4:47 PM

Oh goodness! I love the sound of all of those. I have a weakness for mojitos of any kind! I don’t think the orange-basil sounds weird at all. I actually might like it better than the traditional.

Mansi Desai — May 4, 2008 @ 5:08 PM

wow, that’s a great post! I’m already feeling light-headed:) loved the blood orange photo…I made Cuban Mojito once, but hven’t tried the other versions yet:)

Emiline — May 4, 2008 @ 6:46 PM

Wow! I can’t believe how many mojitos you’ve made! I really like the watermelon one. The cranberry one is so pretty.

Nicole — May 4, 2008 @ 6:50 PM

You are killing me here! The drinks look so amazing and your Vegas trip so fun and relaxing. I haven’t done that in so long. Just sat around relaxed, drinking. My favorite Mojito is the regular one but I don’t shy away from the others either. What time shall I come down? I am ready! ;-) Too bad I have too much to do.

Mary Coleman — May 4, 2008 @ 7:57 PM

Orange basil mojitos..stop it!!!!
    Ohhh, baby!!
    This will be enjoyed this afternoon on the beach.
    As usual, you are an inspiration, Lori!!

White On Rice Couple — May 4, 2008 @ 8:18 PM

We wanna muddle too!!!! Don’t have one of these, but would like to!
    We use the wooden end of our wooden spoon, but this tool would be so much better.
    Love your awesome mojitos! You are totally invited to our place anytime!
    Go cocktails!!

My Sweet & Saucy — May 4, 2008 @ 9:29 PM

I just had a mojito last night and loved every sip! These variations sound great…thanks so much!

Peter M — May 4, 2008 @ 9:29 PM

Lori, gee thanks alot…now I wanna try all of them and get drunk..on a Sunday evening! lol

Lina — May 5, 2008 @ 12:55 AM

wow, you really like them mojitos huh? Ive never even heard of a muddler before! haha! All of your mojitos look great. I want to try that basil and orange combination sometime…

ali — May 5, 2008 @ 1:07 AM

I knew there was something else I needed for my kitchen.

these look very refreshing.

also, just passed by Roberto’s on my way home from visiting family friends in Del Mar. It looks like a blast.

Elle — May 5, 2008 @ 2:26 AM

Sure–tease a girl when she’s thirsty. ;)

Basil is very refreshing, isn’t it? I like it in my iced tea, but a mojito looks way better!

Katerina — May 5, 2008 @ 5:02 AM

I want to have all of them.

Anonymous — May 5, 2008 @ 8:44 AM

I’m ashamed to admit I’ve never had a mojito, but with summer right around the corner it’s something I would really love to make. I do have a question though….about how much is a half a bunch of basil? Thanks in advance!
    Val

RecipeGirl — May 5, 2008 @ 12:46 PM

Thanks for visiting everyone! Glad you’re seeing some mojitos that appeal to you :)

Val- half a bunch of basil… hard to say, isn’t it? Some basil actually comes in bunches, but they certainly don’t come in the same sizes at every market. If you just use a nice, big handful that should do it. I made individual drinks, and I just stuck 4-5 leaves in each one. Hope that helps!

Flanboyant Eats — May 5, 2008 @ 1:14 PM

Get it girl! These all look great!!!

Mike of Mike's Table — May 5, 2008 @ 7:35 PM

Those all sound like great twists on a great drink…and surprisingly colorful! They look great in the photos

When it comes to minted drinks though, I’m very much a julep man…*homer simpson drool*

adventuresinshaw — May 6, 2008 @ 2:11 AM

I love pomegranate and a restaurant here in DC does pomegranate mojitos…unfortunately their food sucks. So thanks for posting the recipe for these mojitos so I’m not forced to go eat crappy food for one specific drink!

Anonymous — May 8, 2008 @ 9:58 AM

Thanks, Lori! I have a basil plant, so that’s why I was asking. It doesn’t really come out in bunches. Thanks for your help, I’m anxious to try your recipes!
    Val

Amber * — May 12, 2008 @ 8:42 AM

Ooh I have been on a mojito kick lately…I think it is about summer coming on. Lime and mint are quintessential ingredients for that season.

Basil and orange are also summer favs :)

I love pomegranate. I will have to try this….!

Hillary — June 25, 2008 @ 7:33 PM

I love the twist on the mojito. Pomegranate (love POM juice!) mojito sounds deliciousssss.