Chocolate- Toffee S’More Cookies

Any campers in the audience?

Who doesn’t love a good s’more?… It’s a rhetorical question, really because what kind of person wouldn’t enjoy this sticky, messy, gooey creation of the camping world? Slashfood published an article about the history of S’Mores– where they noted that although the first recipe for S’Mores was published in the Girl Scout Handbook of 1927, the official origin isn’t really known. That being said, it has remained a favorite dessert for camping trips and beach bonfires for years now. And there are all kinds of take-offs on this simple graham cracker, melty marshmallow and chocolate bar dessert. I was excited to find a recipe for Chocolate – Toffee S’More Cookies.

This recipe was published in Gourmet magazine in the section where readers ask for the recipes from places they’ve been. Seattle-Tacoma airport has a little place called Dish D’Lish, and they sell these giant cookies to travelers who are looking for a treat.

Dough for these cookies is rolled into a thick log and refrigerated until very firm. It’s cut into ten thick slices and baked up with a gooey marshmallowy topping. When I baked my test cookies, the marshmallow topping browned up waaaaaayyyy too much, so I modified D’Lish’s recipe to include baking the cookie until it spreads a bit, and then adding the marshmallow topping. That worked much better.

I would have liked them to be a little prettier. They’re kind of an ugly cookie, dontcha think? But don’t let that uglyness fool you. These cookies are really great. Toffee bits are melted within the giant chocolate goodness, and then you get gooey marshmallow in every bite too. The recipe makes 10 giant cookies, exactly.

It was perfect for a little barbecue that I was going to at my college roommate’s house. Her teenagers gobbled them all up in no time and praised me like I was some sort of goddess that was sent to their home. These were super-polite *dream* teenagers who did the dishes without being asked, and asked me- with genuine interest- about my life and my recipe site. I suppose that’s another post topic, but it was delightful being around such nice kids. I cross my fingers and hope that my little one will grow up to be so sweet at that age.

So how about it? Are you in the mood for chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallows? If so, this is an amazing cookie to try. And go for the giant ones… don’t try to make this your regular, everyday normal-sized cookie. This cookie deserves more.

The S’Mores cookie recipe can be found here:  Chocolate- Toffee S’More Cookies

35 Responses to “Chocolate- Toffee S’More Cookies”

1. postedMay 9, 2008 3:21 AM
    Marc @ NoRecipes

There’s no such thing as an ugly cookie, just cookies that don’t taste good and these certainly don’t fall in that bucket. I wish I could take a bite out of one of them now.

2. postedMay 9, 2008 3:23 AM

I like the rustic look of these cookies. I could go for a half dozen right now!

3. postedMay 9, 2008 4:46 AM
    noble pig

I have never turned down any kind of s’more anywhere or anytime. These look delicious.

4. postedMay 9, 2008 8:16 AM

Agreed with marc– it’s all good! I certainly wouldn’t be able to say no to such delectable looking cookies!

5. postedMay 9, 2008 9:57 AM

i kinda want to take a bite out of that raw cookie, and probably will when i make a batch. and never fear, a little bit o’ ugly never deterred me from devouring a cookie!

6. postedMay 9, 2008 11:21 AM

These are so fun!! And they’re making me really, really sad here eating my yogurt and oatmeal for breakfast! I’d rather have a s’more cookie!!

7. postedMay 9, 2008 12:26 PM
    Gretchen Noelle

What fun cookies! This would be a great way to eat smores!

8. postedMay 9, 2008 12:34 PM
    Bellini Valli

These cookies bring back such wonderful memories of camping in the mountains in the good old days. We used to use Nutella for our S’mores…very addictive too:D

9. postedMay 9, 2008 1:27 PM

Well, don’t those look evil! In a good way, of course!

10. postedMay 9, 2008 1:45 PM

If you think they’re ugly, RG, just send ’em right over to me, I’ll take care of them for you! :) I’m not even a big toffee fan (I know, weird), but these STILL look fabulous!

11. postedMay 9, 2008 1:52 PM

Oooh, I LOVE the toffee addition to the s’more cookie-variety – yum!

I posted about my s’mores muffins a while ago – thank goodness for vegan marshmallows & graham crackers, since I definitely missed s’mores when I became a vegan. Hooray for their return to my life! :0)

12. postedMay 9, 2008 2:15 PM

this sounds absolutely awesome. the link to your recipe doesn’t work though!

13. postedMay 9, 2008 2:32 PM
    Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide

These look REALLY good. I think it was Bon Apetit did a smore cookie a couple of months back and I made it and they were horrible. I wasn’t the only one that thought so either…readers made their displeasure known. As I was tasting one, I am thinking….who tested these cookies??? Anyway…this version looks so much better I am willing to give them another try!

14. postedMay 9, 2008 2:35 PM

Well, I guess they just looked kind of ugly to me since I was expecting white gooey marshmallow prettiness!

Lazysundae- thanks for alerting me. I fixed the link. For some reason blogger is being buggy and not allowing me to link it directly to the cookie recipe, so it’s linked to the cookie recipes page. So you just get to see more cookie recipes than you were expecting!

15. postedMay 9, 2008 3:07 PM

I made the banana brown sugar muffins from your recipe site this morning. We loved them. We made some mini sized ones with a rasberry in the middle and they were our favorites. Thanks for the great recipes! Erin

16. postedMay 9, 2008 5:01 PM
    Cookie baker Lynn

I love the idea of s’mores without camping. No tents, no bugs, just yummy chocolatey, gooey goodness.

I give instructions for making vanilla sugar on my blog.

17. postedMay 9, 2008 6:45 PM

that looks awesome. i’m not a fan of marshmallows alone. but as a s’more. oh yea.

18. postedMay 9, 2008 7:13 PM

I’ve never had s’mores

19. postedMay 9, 2008 10:05 PM
    oatmeal cookie guy

I found a really, really good s’mores cookie recipe at you’ve got to give it a try.

20. postedMay 9, 2008 11:14 PM

Mmmm, what great flavors in these cookies! I love smore’s and, I think I’d have these eaten in a hurry! Have a great Mother’s Day Weekend!

21. postedMay 10, 2008 12:23 AM
    Peter M

I am not a happy camper but smores would make the trip much more bearable. Who doesn’t like Smores?

22. postedMay 10, 2008 12:28 AM
    Chef Erik

Oh please stop! These look super fantastic.

23. postedMay 10, 2008 1:03 AM

Yummmm-o !

24. postedMay 10, 2008 1:52 AM

I looooooooooooooooooove s’mores … love the cookies too!

25. postedMay 10, 2008 4:01 AM

Wow! I would eat them all if left alone in the same room without adult supervision! Delicious!

26. postedMay 10, 2008 5:28 AM

Wow, those cookies look so delicious! what a great combo of ingredients

27. postedMay 10, 2008 5:38 AM

oh my! Your family better be treating you good for mothers day because you are the best mom for making such wonderful goodies all the time!!!

28. postedMay 10, 2008 8:03 AM
    Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm)

As if the biscuits are not good enough, you had to smother them in marshmallows….naughty girl, not recipe girl.

29. postedMay 10, 2008 9:39 AM

They’re gorgeous! I’ll have to make these once the oven starts working again.

30. postedMay 10, 2008 8:33 PM

Those s’more cookies look great!!

31. postedMay 11, 2008 4:22 PM

I’m a s’more fan, and these look so delicious!! I was actually wondering how the marshmallows don’t brown up too quickly, so I’m glad to hear that you found a way. I will be making these!

32. postedMay 11, 2008 4:44 PM

I found you by googling a recipe for a chocolate wafer cookie. (I want to make peppermint ice cream bars.)
    I’m going to hang out and read a while!
    (And I’m totally using your modified recipe for these cookies for a pitch-in I’m going to next month!)

33. postedMay 13, 2008 2:41 AM
    cook eat FRET

wow – these sounds like they’d be memorable. all good things. i never care if cookies/cakes are pretty. i just want DELICIOUS!

34. postedMay 14, 2008 12:26 AM

What a cool and fun recipe :). I bet these are a lot less mess than s’mores too :). Sorry I haven’t dropped by in such a long time! It looks like I’ve missed out on quite a bit :).

35. postedMay 15, 2008 7:12 PM

Sorry these don’t look ugly to me they look like I would eat enough to make my tummy holler uncle!