Peanut Butter- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

If you’re anything like me, you utilize your treasured ripe bananas for baked goods. Since we thrive on new recipes around here, I’m always trying to shake things up a little bit when it comes to banana bread. Add blueberries… make it whole grainchocolate swirlpumpkin. I’ll try anything! This time: Peanut Butter- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.

Too much, you say? Nah. The peanut butter, acts as the “fat” in the bread, taking a back seat to the banana flavor. It still comes through a bit, but it isn’t the main event.

The chocolate is a bonus, of course. You could certainly sub any sort of chip in there… peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips… or no chips at all.

Helpful tip: Don’t ever throw out those ripe bananas. Mash them up instead and freeze them in 1 cup increments in freezer zips. They freeze up just fine, and then you’ve got them for banana bread when the mood strikes.

Speaking of freezing, these loaves freeze well. Since the recipe makes two, freeze one and eat the other. You can also make these up as muffins instead of loaves.

This recipe can be found here:  Peanut Butter- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

48 Responses to “Peanut Butter- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread”

Patsyk — May 14, 2008 @ 11:39 AM

OMG! I just made a similar peanut butter chocolate chip loaf this past weekend! Yours looks wonderful!

taste memory — May 14, 2008 @ 12:48 PM

what a great way to spruce up banana bread ~ I can already smell lovely scent of this in the kitchen!

Yours looks enticing + YUM!

Gretchen Noelle — May 14, 2008 @ 1:14 PM

Very nice! I am really enjoying frozen banana bread this week. Usually I give away all the extras but this time it is going from freezer to toaster. Mmmmm…

kate — May 14, 2008 @ 1:51 PM

Looks delish! I want to make them right away, just have to hide the bananas so they can ripen before my husband eats them all.

familiabencomo — May 14, 2008 @ 2:18 PM

Anything with chocolate chips MUST be good! I like the idea of freezing it too since I bake in spurts & it’s better to have something for those times when I’m not baking or if you need an emergency gift. Thank you for sharing.

xoxox Amy

Grace — May 14, 2008 @ 2:24 PM

mmm…this bread is like a bloated peanut butter blondie, but better because there are bananers involved. good stuff!

Leah — May 14, 2008 @ 2:50 PM

My kiddos would be all over this…all of their favorite flavors in one yummy pan! Looks great.

Nick — May 14, 2008 @ 3:54 PM

Lori, you don’t think it’s taken a hold of you, but it has. Peanut butter addiction is slowly creeping up on you. But it’s a good feeling isn’t it? Just let it take control…there, now doesn’t that taste good?

This loaf looks excellent. It sounds almost identical to something I created a while back before my blogging days. I used only whole wheat pastry flour and it came out incredible. I forgot about the recipe but you’ve inspired me to create it again! Thanks for the info on freezing, it’s hard (not really) to eat 2 loaves by myself before it goes bad.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen — May 14, 2008 @ 4:20 PM

whoa! This sounds soooo good – all the goodies in one bread. I think you have a realy hit here!

nicisme — May 14, 2008 @ 4:23 PM

There seems to be lots of banana bread popping up at the moment, but yours looks really good – and it’s got chocolate in it!

aforkfulofspaghetti — May 14, 2008 @ 4:23 PM

My guess is one slice and you’re hopelessly addicted…? I would be, I’m sure.

Lina — May 14, 2008 @ 4:30 PM

banana and chocolate… always a winning combination! bravo~

diva@theSugarBar — May 14, 2008 @ 5:28 PM

looks yummy. and wow, great tip. i would never think to mash em up and freeze em for later. thanks!

cook eat FRET — May 14, 2008 @ 5:29 PM

i like the mashing up ahead of time idea – before you freeze
    very helpful

anyway, what would be not to love about this???

all the best stuff in a loaf…

Parker — May 14, 2008 @ 7:33 PM

You can’t go wrong with the combination – chocolate, pb and banana. Looks wonderful.

Jenny — May 14, 2008 @ 7:57 PM

I love this combo of flavors, your bread looks fantastic!!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide — May 14, 2008 @ 10:03 PM

Looks very good. I have been craving banana bread lately. I always use frozen almost black bananas……makes it soooo moist. I throw in some butterscotch chips also. Sounds odd but really yummy. My husband would LOVE this recipe. Will try!

ali — May 15, 2008 @ 12:41 AM

i love the chocolate banana combo always, and I love peanut butter banana, so i’m guessing I would love the three together as well. looks yummy.

also, i made the asparagus and parmesan salad last night. so good! I used arugula because we had it. And I roasted some broccolini with the asparagus (I know, sounds odd) because I had it. The dressing is wonderful!

Half Baked — May 15, 2008 @ 12:44 AM

Yumm I’m going to make this for my book club tomorrow! Great recipe:)

Elle — May 15, 2008 @ 1:18 AM

I covet the brown bananas! I have to hide them. I’ve got two in the freezer, and I’m r=eagerly awaiting more.

This bread looks so good!

Lisa — May 15, 2008 @ 1:42 AM

This looks good. I just made banana bread (again!) yesterday with some Nutella swirled in it. I have to make some breads for a school function and will be scouring your collection.

Dee — May 15, 2008 @ 2:09 AM

what a coincidence! i made some caramel and walnut banana bread last night.

yours looks amazing! i’m definitely going to try this next time round.

Marc @ NoRecipes — May 15, 2008 @ 2:36 AM

Yumm! When I was a kid I refused to eat banana bread unless my mom put chocolate chips in it.

Laura — May 15, 2008 @ 2:42 AM

Wow I wish I liked banana because that looks awesome.

Sophie — May 15, 2008 @ 3:22 AM

This looks loaded and wonderful! This IS a great way to use old bananas, I hate to waste ;) !

giz — May 15, 2008 @ 11:02 AM

To my palette there is no finer combination than peanut butter, banana and chocolate chip. I love the way any banana bread freezes. I do alot of cutting the whole loaf up – packaging 2 pcs at a time and freezing the whole lot and just giving it away.
    Your loaf looks really light – when I made this combo as muffins it was really dense.

Ann — May 15, 2008 @ 12:28 PM

Wow! What an amazing loaf of banana bread!

ovenhaven — May 15, 2008 @ 2:06 PM

Peanut butter, chocolate chip AND banana? Perfection in a loaf.

Zoe Francois — May 15, 2008 @ 2:50 PM

Hi, this looks fabulous! I just happen to have tons of VERY ripe bananas on my counter waiting for inspiration. Thanks for stopping by my website and leading me to this recipe!

Hendria — May 15, 2008 @ 5:09 PM

this looks like a nice banana bread… :)

VeggieGirl — May 15, 2008 @ 8:09 PM

“If you’re anything like me, you utilize your treasured ripe bananas for baked goods.” Well then, I’m a LOT like you, haha – I always save my overripe bananas for banana breads, muffins, etc. That particular banana bread that you created looks DIVINE!!!

noble pig — May 15, 2008 @ 8:13 PM

My favorite combination of stuff! I make muffins like this all the time.

Prudy — May 15, 2008 @ 10:26 PM

I’m actually excited when the bananas get spotty and black-for just this kind of reason. The bread looks wonderful!

Jessy and her dog Winnie — May 16, 2008 @ 12:33 AM

I want a slice of that for breakfast! : D

Veronica — May 16, 2008 @ 1:08 AM

Peanut butter and bananas with chocolate sounds great! What’s not to love?? Unfortunately bananas never seem to last long enough in my house to make it to the “let’s make banana bread” stage.

Mary Coleman — May 16, 2008 @ 1:12 AM

Stop already!!!

Kevin — May 16, 2008 @ 1:25 AM

Great looking loaf!! I have been wanting to try a peanut butter and chocolate chip banana bread for a while now.

Colette — May 16, 2008 @ 2:39 AM

YUM. I love peanut butter, I love chocolate, I love banana bread. And I’m sure I’d love them all together! I’m saving this recipe, and I’m definitely going to keep in mind the freezing banana thing. Too many bananas go to waste!

the southern hostess — May 16, 2008 @ 4:05 AM

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am loving sifting through all your recipes! Yum! I’ll definitely be a regular.

Proud Italian Cook — May 16, 2008 @ 4:20 AM

I would cut into this in a heartbeat!!!

Psychgrad — May 16, 2008 @ 6:40 AM

This has just jumped the queue to the top of my “to try” list.

You might want to try deleting your cookies (the online kind) to view our page. I find that when I’m having trouble viewing a page, deleting cookies/temporary files usually helps.

Dhanggit — May 16, 2008 @ 7:23 AM

oh my goodness, all the good things in life are captured in this bread: banana, peanut butter and choco chips..really yummy

canarygirl — May 16, 2008 @ 9:02 AM

Yummity Yum Yum YUM! I’ll have my slice toasted please! :)

Rosie — May 19, 2008 @ 6:51 PM

Oh this is such a wonderful banana bread all those brilliant flavours I can smell that wonderful aroma from here mmmmmmm

Rosie x

Shauna — June 7, 2008 @ 11:57 AM

You should submit this recipe to the Moist Banana Bread Contest:

Winner gets a $50 gift card to Sur La Table!!

blessings,

Shauna

Ingrid — August 10, 2008 @ 1:14 AM

Hello,
    In this post you mentioned being able to freeze bananas. When defrosting them do you do it in the fridge or on the counter top? About how long would you say it takes to defrost?
    Thanks in advance for your response!
    Ingrid

Wendy — January 29, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

FWIW (I know this is nearly 4 years after the post, but this is for people looking for actual reviews of this recipe), I made this recipe last week and found it sounded a bit better than it actually was. The flavors and texture end up being a little like a health bar. As you mention, the PB is more of a background note than a real flavor, and as the fat, it makes this bread denser and heavier than ordinary banana bread. I liked it, but didn’t love it, and will go back to my own banana and chocolate chip bread for the next one. Perhaps just adding PB chips would do better for the PB flavor, and/or decreasing the PB a little and adding back some butter for the fat for the texture.

Tyler — November 16, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

I just made this and thought it was excellent! I also took some to share with friends who loved it. I followed the recipe (using white whole wheat flour because that’s what I have on hand) and the bread is delicious. Maybe even better on the second day – very moist! Thanks for a great recipe!