Peanut Butter- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

If you’re anything like me, you utilize your treasured ripe bananas for baked goods. Since we thrive on new recipes around here, I’m always trying to shake things up a little bit when it comes to banana bread. Add blueberries… make it whole grainchocolate swirlpumpkin. I’ll try anything! This time: Peanut Butter- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.

Too much, you say? Nah. The peanut butter, acts as the “fat” in the bread, taking a back seat to the banana flavor. It still comes through a bit, but it isn’t the main event.

The chocolate is a bonus, of course. You could certainly sub any sort of chip in there… peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips… or no chips at all.

Helpful tip: Don’t ever throw out those ripe bananas. Mash them up instead and freeze them in 1 cup increments in freezer zips. They freeze up just fine, and then you’ve got them for banana bread when the mood strikes.

Speaking of freezing, these loaves freeze well. Since the recipe makes two, freeze one and eat the other. You can also make these up as muffins instead of loaves.

This recipe can be found here:  Peanut Butter- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

48 Responses to “Peanut Butter- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread”

1. postedMay 14, 2008 11:39 AM
    Patsyk

OMG! I just made a similar peanut butter chocolate chip loaf this past weekend! Yours looks wonderful!

2. postedMay 14, 2008 12:48 PM
    taste memory

what a great way to spruce up banana bread ~ I can already smell lovely scent of this in the kitchen!

Yours looks enticing + YUM!

3. postedMay 14, 2008 1:14 PM
    Gretchen Noelle

Very nice! I am really enjoying frozen banana bread this week. Usually I give away all the extras but this time it is going from freezer to toaster. Mmmmm…

4. postedMay 14, 2008 1:51 PM
    kate

Looks delish! I want to make them right away, just have to hide the bananas so they can ripen before my husband eats them all.

5. postedMay 14, 2008 2:18 PM
    familiabencomo

Anything with chocolate chips MUST be good! I like the idea of freezing it too since I bake in spurts & it’s better to have something for those times when I’m not baking or if you need an emergency gift. Thank you for sharing.

xoxox Amy

6. postedMay 14, 2008 2:24 PM
    Grace

mmm…this bread is like a bloated peanut butter blondie, but better because there are bananers involved. good stuff!

7. postedMay 14, 2008 2:50 PM
    Leah

My kiddos would be all over this…all of their favorite flavors in one yummy pan! Looks great.

8. postedMay 14, 2008 3:54 PM
    Nick

Lori, you don’t think it’s taken a hold of you, but it has. Peanut butter addiction is slowly creeping up on you. But it’s a good feeling isn’t it? Just let it take control…there, now doesn’t that taste good?

This loaf looks excellent. It sounds almost identical to something I created a while back before my blogging days. I used only whole wheat pastry flour and it came out incredible. I forgot about the recipe but you’ve inspired me to create it again! Thanks for the info on freezing, it’s hard (not really) to eat 2 loaves by myself before it goes bad.

9. postedMay 14, 2008 4:20 PM
    JennDZ - The Leftover Queen

whoa! This sounds soooo good – all the goodies in one bread. I think you have a realy hit here!

10. postedMay 14, 2008 4:23 PM
    nicisme

There seems to be lots of banana bread popping up at the moment, but yours looks really good – and it’s got chocolate in it!

11. postedMay 14, 2008 4:23 PM
    aforkfulofspaghetti

My guess is one slice and you’re hopelessly addicted…? I would be, I’m sure.

12. postedMay 14, 2008 4:30 PM
    Lina

banana and chocolate… always a winning combination! bravo~

13. postedMay 14, 2008 5:28 PM
    diva@theSugarBar

looks yummy. and wow, great tip. i would never think to mash em up and freeze em for later. thanks!

14. postedMay 14, 2008 5:29 PM
    cook eat FRET

i like the mashing up ahead of time idea – before you freeze
    very helpful

anyway, what would be not to love about this???

all the best stuff in a loaf…

15. postedMay 14, 2008 7:33 PM
    Parker

You can’t go wrong with the combination – chocolate, pb and banana. Looks wonderful.

16. postedMay 14, 2008 7:57 PM
    Jenny

I love this combo of flavors, your bread looks fantastic!!

17. postedMay 14, 2008 10:03 PM
    Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide

Looks very good. I have been craving banana bread lately. I always use frozen almost black bananas……makes it soooo moist. I throw in some butterscotch chips also. Sounds odd but really yummy. My husband would LOVE this recipe. Will try!

18. postedMay 15, 2008 12:41 AM
    ali

i love the chocolate banana combo always, and I love peanut butter banana, so i’m guessing I would love the three together as well. looks yummy.

also, i made the asparagus and parmesan salad last night. so good! I used arugula because we had it. And I roasted some broccolini with the asparagus (I know, sounds odd) because I had it. The dressing is wonderful!

19. postedMay 15, 2008 12:44 AM
    Half Baked

Yumm I’m going to make this for my book club tomorrow! Great recipe:)

20. postedMay 15, 2008 1:18 AM
    Elle

I covet the brown bananas! I have to hide them. I’ve got two in the freezer, and I’m r=eagerly awaiting more.

This bread looks so good!

21. postedMay 15, 2008 1:42 AM
    Lisa

This looks good. I just made banana bread (again!) yesterday with some Nutella swirled in it. I have to make some breads for a school function and will be scouring your collection.

22. postedMay 15, 2008 2:09 AM
    Dee

what a coincidence! i made some caramel and walnut banana bread last night.

yours looks amazing! i’m definitely going to try this next time round.

23. postedMay 15, 2008 2:36 AM
    Marc @ NoRecipes

Yumm! When I was a kid I refused to eat banana bread unless my mom put chocolate chips in it.

24. postedMay 15, 2008 2:42 AM
    Laura

Wow I wish I liked banana because that looks awesome.

25. postedMay 15, 2008 3:22 AM
    Sophie

This looks loaded and wonderful! This IS a great way to use old bananas, I hate to waste ;)!

26. postedMay 15, 2008 11:02 AM
    giz

To my palette there is no finer combination than peanut butter, banana and chocolate chip. I love the way any banana bread freezes. I do alot of cutting the whole loaf up – packaging 2 pcs at a time and freezing the whole lot and just giving it away.
    Your loaf looks really light – when I made this combo as muffins it was really dense.

27. postedMay 15, 2008 12:28 PM
    Ann

Wow! What an amazing loaf of banana bread!

28. postedMay 15, 2008 2:06 PM
    ovenhaven

Peanut butter, chocolate chip AND banana? Perfection in a loaf.

29. postedMay 15, 2008 2:50 PM
    Zoe Francois

Hi, this looks fabulous! I just happen to have tons of VERY ripe bananas on my counter waiting for inspiration. Thanks for stopping by my website and leading me to this recipe!

30. postedMay 15, 2008 5:09 PM
    Hendria

this looks like a nice banana bread… :)

31. postedMay 15, 2008 8:09 PM
    VeggieGirl

“If you’re anything like me, you utilize your treasured ripe bananas for baked goods.” Well then, I’m a LOT like you, haha – I always save my overripe bananas for banana breads, muffins, etc. That particular banana bread that you created looks DIVINE!!!

32. postedMay 15, 2008 8:13 PM
    noble pig

My favorite combination of stuff! I make muffins like this all the time.

33. postedMay 15, 2008 10:26 PM
    Prudy

I’m actually excited when the bananas get spotty and black-for just this kind of reason. The bread looks wonderful!

34. postedMay 16, 2008 12:33 AM
    Jessy and her dog Winnie

I want a slice of that for breakfast! : D

35. postedMay 16, 2008 1:08 AM
    Veronica

Peanut butter and bananas with chocolate sounds great! What’s not to love?? Unfortunately bananas never seem to last long enough in my house to make it to the “let’s make banana bread” stage.

36. postedMay 16, 2008 1:12 AM
    Mary Coleman

Stop already!!!

37. postedMay 16, 2008 1:25 AM
    Kevin

Great looking loaf!! I have been wanting to try a peanut butter and chocolate chip banana bread for a while now.

38. postedMay 16, 2008 2:39 AM
    Colette

YUM. I love peanut butter, I love chocolate, I love banana bread. And I’m sure I’d love them all together! I’m saving this recipe, and I’m definitely going to keep in mind the freezing banana thing. Too many bananas go to waste!

39. postedMay 16, 2008 4:05 AM
    the southern hostess

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am loving sifting through all your recipes! Yum! I’ll definitely be a regular.

40. postedMay 16, 2008 4:20 AM
    Proud Italian Cook

I would cut into this in a heartbeat!!!

41. postedMay 16, 2008 6:40 AM
    Psychgrad

This has just jumped the queue to the top of my “to try” list.

You might want to try deleting your cookies (the online kind) to view our page. I find that when I’m having trouble viewing a page, deleting cookies/temporary files usually helps.

42. postedMay 16, 2008 7:23 AM
    Dhanggit

oh my goodness, all the good things in life are captured in this bread: banana, peanut butter and choco chips..really yummy

43. postedMay 16, 2008 9:02 AM
    canarygirl

Yummity Yum Yum YUM! I’ll have my slice toasted please! :)

44. postedMay 19, 2008 6:51 PM
    Rosie

Oh this is such a wonderful banana bread all those brilliant flavours I can smell that wonderful aroma from here mmmmmmm

Rosie x

45. postedJun 7, 2008 11:57 AM
    Shauna

You should submit this recipe to the Moist Banana Bread Contest:

Winner gets a $50 gift card to Sur La Table!!

blessings,

Shauna

46. postedAug 10, 2008 1:14 AM
    Ingrid

Hello,
    In this post you mentioned being able to freeze bananas. When defrosting them do you do it in the fridge or on the counter top? About how long would you say it takes to defrost?
    Thanks in advance for your response!
    Ingrid

47. postedJan 29, 2012 1:38 PM
    Wendy

FWIW (I know this is nearly 4 years after the post, but this is for people looking for actual reviews of this recipe), I made this recipe last week and found it sounded a bit better than it actually was. The flavors and texture end up being a little like a health bar. As you mention, the PB is more of a background note than a real flavor, and as the fat, it makes this bread denser and heavier than ordinary banana bread. I liked it, but didn’t love it, and will go back to my own banana and chocolate chip bread for the next one. Perhaps just adding PB chips would do better for the PB flavor, and/or decreasing the PB a little and adding back some butter for the fat for the texture.

48. postedNov 16, 2012 3:02 PM
    Tyler

I just made this and thought it was excellent! I also took some to share with friends who loved it. I followed the recipe (using white whole wheat flour because that’s what I have on hand) and the bread is delicious. Maybe even better on the second day – very moist! Thanks for a great recipe!