Sauteed Chicken with Olives, Capers and Roasted Lemons

A dinner to remember: Sauteed Chicken with Olives, Capers and Roasted Lemons- modified a little bit from Food and Wine.

My new favorite roasting venture: Lemons. Wonderful lemons.

Ever try roasting these golden gifts from nature?

With a drizzle of olive oil and a splash of kosher salt, they caramelize and transform into flavor-powerhouses that are unlike any raw lemon you’ve ever tasted.

While those luscious lemons are roasting, flour-dusted chicken is sauteed until lightly browned.

Olives, capers and chicken broth are added, and the whole bunch simmers until the broth is reduced.

Add the roasted lemons and a couple pats of butter and the magic begins to happen. The lemons impart their roasted flavor onto the chicken and into the sauce. Heaven.

The chicken is plated with the sauce drizzled over the top. It would certainly be good served over rice or alongside roasted potatoes. I chose to serve it up on its own with the sauce spooned over. Each bite of chicken was incredibly tender, and the sauce really made it over-the-top fantastic. Hubby kept saying things like, “How did you make this?” and “It’s moist, not dry.” (like I make dry chicken all the time or something!!) “It’s so flavorful!” (He’s so descriptive, isn’t he?)

Long story made short: We loved it. A lot. And the roasted lemons really made the dish.

This recipe can be found here:  Sauteed Chicken with Roasted Lemons

50 Responses to “Sauteed Chicken with Olives, Capers and Roasted Lemons”

Dee — May 16, 2008 @ 10:10 AM

The pictures are gorgeous; i can almost taste the chicken. Yum!

Anonymous — May 16, 2008 @ 10:57 AM

Looks fantastic! I will definitely give this one a try!
    Val

Robin Sue — May 16, 2008 @ 1:11 PM

Yum roasted lemons. What a way to add so much flavor to a dish. will have to try as I have a ton of lemons to use up.

Grace — May 16, 2008 @ 1:18 PM

you know, i don’t think i’ve ever had a roasted lemon, even as a garnish. roasting tends to improve lots of things–corn, squash, garlic, and raw pork, to name a few–so i think you’ve done a good thing here! i’ve been convinced to try it out. :)

Bellini Valli — May 16, 2008 @ 1:39 PM

Capers, lemon, chicken….what could be better:D

Patsyk — May 16, 2008 @ 1:53 PM

I never would have thought to roast lemons! I’m going to have to try this after we get back from vacation!

Sharon — May 16, 2008 @ 1:59 PM

Roasted lemons? I had no idea! I’m not an olive fan, but without those, this dish sounds fantastic! Great pictures as well :)

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) — May 16, 2008 @ 2:05 PM

The tang of those lemons must have been delicious….

deLa — May 16, 2008 @ 2:14 PM

this looks great! i should of roasted my lemons before infusing my oil with them.

either way –

i tagged you with an i love you award. see my blog for details

ovenhaven — May 16, 2008 @ 3:11 PM

Gosh, this looks really good. I’ve never tried roasting lemons, but your pictures are too mouthwatering to give it a miss!

Lisa — May 16, 2008 @ 3:12 PM

This dish looks delicious! I will definitely be trying roasted lemons soon.

Gloria — May 16, 2008 @ 3:31 PM

These look REALLY YUMMY and nice how all your recipes!! I think chicken with lemon is so nice and with orange’s juice too!!! Have a nice weekend!! (And thanks to passing by to my blog)

Peter M — May 16, 2008 @ 3:34 PM

Lori, I grilled some lemons just yesterday…a nice sweetness that complements any dish, in this case your lovely chicken!

Cakespy — May 16, 2008 @ 4:52 PM

Oh my. The lemon makes my mouth water….and looks like the perfect taste complement to the chicken with capers. This looks perfect for an outdoor dinner. If only I had a yard! Oh well, we’ll leave the windows open.

Mary Coleman — May 16, 2008 @ 4:58 PM

Why did I look at this right before lunch? I’m starving!! Fabulous, Lori! I love your style.

Laura — May 16, 2008 @ 5:18 PM

Oh wow oh wow I wish I liked olives because I am now dying to try something with roasted lemons! I will have to think on how this can be adjusted–or how I can use them in something else. It just NEVER would have occurred to me to roast a lemon. They look fabulous.

Melanie — May 16, 2008 @ 5:19 PM

Your recipes always amaze me! They are unique and look terribly delicious and seem very gourmet. Love them! This is no exception.

Hello, I'm Sally. — May 16, 2008 @ 6:08 PM

This looks good! First the lemons, then the capers and green olives, delish!

Hello, I'm Sally. — May 16, 2008 @ 6:08 PM

This looks good! First the lemons, then the capers and green olives, delish!

cakewardrobe — May 16, 2008 @ 6:40 PM

Lemons can basically save anything :) That’s what I love about them! Roasting them must add such a beautiful aroma to your house! It looks sooo delish!

CookiePie — May 16, 2008 @ 10:42 PM

RG – you have outdone yourself!! Roasting lemons = genius! This looks AMAZING, and your photos are beautiful. OK, now I’m really hungry… :)

Erinn — May 16, 2008 @ 11:57 PM

I love a good piccata. And this looks like a fabulous twist, so delicious!!
    Your photos make me want to jump through the screen.
    I can’t wait to try it, I’ll let report back when I do.

noble pig — May 17, 2008 @ 12:51 AM

What a great idea.

So many recipes call for adding the lemons to the pan and cooking in the sauce which I think leaves the dish bitter.

This is a far superior technique!

Abby — May 17, 2008 @ 1:29 AM

That looks GREAT. I’ve never thought of roasting lemons! I lingered over a bag at Costco today, and now I wish I had bought them!

Elle — May 17, 2008 @ 2:25 AM

Brilliant! i have to try roasting them. And how funny is your husband? hehe!

Lori Lynn — May 17, 2008 @ 2:35 AM

Sometimes you come across an idea that you will really and truly use. This roasted lemons is one of them, thanks much.

Lina — May 17, 2008 @ 3:20 AM

That looks like such a healthy meal! Love the photo of lemons waiting to be roasted!

Cookie baker Lynn — May 17, 2008 @ 3:44 AM

Roasted lemons? I’ve never tried it but it sounds fabulous. This dish looks delicious.

Proud Italian Cook — May 17, 2008 @ 3:52 AM

Lori, I grill lemons all the time so I know exactly how flavorful they are. Your dish is heaven on a plate! I love how your Hubby’s so into your food! :)

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — May 17, 2008 @ 4:17 AM

That is one gorgeous looking pile of chicken! What a great idea to roast the lemons. I can almost taste them!

Emiline — May 17, 2008 @ 5:21 AM

Wow! You’ve posted a lot over the last couple of days. I need to catch up. That bread looks good.

Your chicken looks so delicious and moist! Your husband will want this chicken everyday. I’ll have to try roasting them lemons.

Ha-look. I just typed “them” lemons. I’m going to leave it like that.

familiabencomo — May 17, 2008 @ 12:58 PM

I feel like you wrote out this recipe especially for me…. I have an unlimited amount of lemons, always looking for something new to do with them AND we ALWAYS have chicken, always looking for something new to do with that too! I love to combination of flavors. Thank you for sharing.

xoxox Amy

diva — May 17, 2008 @ 1:28 PM

oh that looks lovely. the lemon must have caramelised so well :)

VeggieGirl — May 17, 2008 @ 1:58 PM

I never thought about roasting lemons… sounds FABULOUS!!

taku-roo — May 17, 2008 @ 3:20 PM

I always look at your site.
    Because I write the recipe of the side dish mainly, please link with my site.
    “The recipe of the delicious dish and meal”

Syrie — May 17, 2008 @ 4:40 PM

Lori, this looks divine! I’d love some with mashed potatoes!

ali — May 17, 2008 @ 5:36 PM

looks wonderful RecipeGirl! the roasted lemons sound so interesting.

Kevin — May 17, 2008 @ 9:04 PM

Roasted lemons sound like a great idea and that chicken looks really tasty!

Jeff — May 17, 2008 @ 9:17 PM

So nice to see people roasting lemons. Friends of mine have looked at me like I lost my mind more than once when I threw them on the grill. However, once they tried them they quickly changed that look.

aforkfulofspaghetti — May 18, 2008 @ 2:58 PM

Mmmm…. a delicious combination of flavours!

Mark Boxshus "Cookie Doctor" — May 19, 2008 @ 11:18 AM

I will definitely have to try roasting lemons. Never in a million years would I have thought of doing this. Sounds delicious.

dobetter — May 19, 2008 @ 6:05 PM

Looks amazing! I love the roasted lemons and capers. Wow. Can’t wait to try this one for myself!

Rosie — May 19, 2008 @ 6:54 PM

Thia looks brilliant and i bet it tastes fantastic! What gorgeous pics too!!

Rosie x

farida — May 19, 2008 @ 11:24 PM

I loved the idea of roasted lemons. how interesting! This looks and sounds like a delicious recipe to try!

Sophie — May 20, 2008 @ 1:48 AM

i love the combo of lemon and capers; what fresh flavors they both offer a dish. your chicken looks very moist too, btw, and mouthwatering, to say the least :).

swirlingnotions — May 20, 2008 @ 5:29 PM

Gorgeous! I’ve grilled lemons before, and battered and fried them as part of a fritto misto, but I’ve never roasted them. Thanks for the idea!

Angela — May 21, 2008 @ 11:05 AM

Olives, capers, and roasted lemons? What a combo! This is a fantastic dish — and looks so healthy too. May I have seconds?

Mike of Mike's Table — May 22, 2008 @ 12:20 PM

It sounds delicious and the olive, caper combo seems very well suited to lemons. I’ve never roasted lemons before, but it sounds like I ought to give it a try. And lol@the description from your husband. I’ll sometimes try to get a description out of my wife (for the write-up, of course), and she’ll shrug her shoulders and say “good? Very good?”

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide — May 23, 2008 @ 2:21 AM

I used roasted lemons in lemonade one time last year. I think it was a food net recipe. VERY good. This dish looks great, I love olives.

Anonymous — June 29, 2008 @ 12:05 AM

I made this dish this evening and it was DIVINE! Just as you said, roasting the lemons just made the flavor pop out!
    kmoeller