Yield: 1 dozen
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 12 min
1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen (see *Tips below)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup salted butter, softened
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
3. Cut the butter into the flour mixture until it becomes a course crumb texture (use two knives or a pastry blender).
4. Stir in the cranberries, nuts and orange zest. Add the buttermilk and mix with a fork until moistened.
5. Gather dough into a ball and place on a floured board. Roll or pat into a circle 3/4-inch thick.
6. Cut into into 12 pie shaped pieces. Place on prepared baking sheet 1 1/2-inches apart. Brush tops of scones with milk and sprinkle with sugar/cinnnamon/nutmeg (stir together first).
7. Bake 12-15 minutes, until lightly browned.
*If you'd like the cranberries more spread out, roughly chop them (but only if they're frozen). Trying to chop fresh cranberries is kind of a messy disaster!