Yield: 8 scones
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1/3 cup salted butter
One 11-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1/4 cup salted butter, softened
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
2. Prepare the scones: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and orange zest. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or two knives to form coarse crumbs. Add the oranges, milk and egg and then stir until mix leaves sides of bowl and forms a sticky dough. Flour your hands and knead lightly 10 times.
3. Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet and pat into a 6-inch circle 3/4-inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges and separate slightly. You may roll out dough on a floured board and cut with a floured biscuit cutter into smaller rounds. You may also sprinkle with one tablespoon of sugar.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes or 10-12 minutes if dough was cut into smaller pieces.
5. Prepare the orange butter: Mix the softened butter and marmalade and place in small serving bowl. Serve with warm scones.
Source: RecipeGirl.com (adapted barely from Betty Crocker)